Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Powerwall Supply Chain Gotten Even Worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting 2.5 years for an additional PW2 from my third party installer. He said Tesla rep recently told him PW production has been reduced and it may be another year or two before I see another PW.

I called Tesla. The phone rep doesn't know anything about third party availability, said Tesla factory installs typically start in 90 days, depending on permits, etc.

I contacted a few other local authorized installers. They all estimated a six-month wait, but nobody guaranteeing availability. I told that to my dealer. He said they're probably just sales reps that haven't gotten the latest word.

Anybody know what's going on with third-party availability? Thanks.

There is no answer to that, because its going to be "it depends" (on that suppliers relationship with tesla, volume, etc). Some people here have waited a year or two for third party powerwalls, but some third party installers who have a tight relationship with tesla get plenty of supply.

So, There is no blanket answer possible for "whats going on with third party availabilty". "it depends". Your installer obviously is having issues getting supply, and / or is using what supply they are getting on other projects.

Been waiting 2.5 years for an additional PW2 from my third party installer. He said Tesla rep recently told him PW production has been reduced and it may be another year or two before I see another PW.

I called Tesla. The phone rep doesn't know anything about third party availability, said Tesla factory installs typically start in 90 days, depending on permits, etc.

I contacted a few other local authorized installers. They all estimated a six-month wait, but nobody guaranteeing availability. I told that to my dealer. He said they're probably just sales reps that haven't gotten the latest word.

Anybody know what's going on with third-party availability? Thanks.
It could be just really bad or non-existent order process fulfillment software that Tesla uses. It seems like anytime something gets an exception in their system is just gets hung and needs a person to get it unstuck, but the person that could fix it doesn't know that they need to take an action. There are people that placed orders for the basic Model 3 RWD back in Sep/Oct 2021 that still don't have their orders, but others that have placed orders more recently are getting deliveries.

I had placed an order for a mobile charger with my Model 3 as that was dropped as a cost cutting move in April. The order was placed as part as the vehicle order and I expected it to be with the car when I took delivery or at least shipped to my house within a week after delivery. My delivery went from 40 days out to now in August. After three weeks with multiple attempts through the Tesla Shop support email to get them to ship me the charger that they have in stock and getting rebuffed with there is a backlog, it isn't in stock, if you cancel the original you will go to the back of the line, it is past the point of no-return in the warehouse and will be shipped but I can't tell you when, etc.. I cancelled my original order and placed a fresh order and should get it Wed/Thu.

IMHO, the order that your 3rd party installer placed 30 months ago for Powerwalls is in stuck in Tesla limbo. Cancelling it and re-ordering is likely the only solution.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
If anything supply appears to be improving substantially - but Tesla has always been fast and loose with their third party suppliers. Some get gobs of them, others just a trickle. Other likelihood is that you're getting jacked around by your installer because they don't want to give you a standalone powerwall they can make a lot more money on with someone else buying a whole system.

Reactions: BIC1