Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has this happened to anyone....scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Morning I was on the freeway and on the phone (through the car blue tooth) when all of a sudden the phone disconnected and a loud squeal started to sound. It was extremely loud.

I tried to go to the phone function to hang it up I couldn’t get into any function. Everything was locked. The screen was on BUT locked. The button on the steering wheel were also inoperable. I got off the freeway and all of a sudden the screen and the dash screen went blank.(Dark Screen) as I pulled over to stop it stated to reload and everything started coming back.

I’ve never experienced that. It didn’t seem to drain any of the battery. The turn signals didn’t work when the screen was black. All other mechanical functions like steering and braking did work.

What the heck happened? It was a scary incident. Not comfortable about something like this happening. Car is. 2018 S 100D

Computer crash and reboot. Its disconcerting when it happens, but all of the safety systems run outside of the MCU or with backup systems so you will never lose steering, braking, etc. It's pretty rare, only happened to me once in 3 years. I didn't get the squeal, but I wasn't on a call when it happened.

If you had just never looked at the screen, you would have probably never realized that it rebooted. I believe that the turn signal did work, you just didn't get the feedback. If you had been on Autopilot, it would have still worked. You just lose the screen and the audio.

Tesla vehicles have multiple processors. The processor controlling critical driving functions is separate from the processor controlling the user interface and displays and for AP2+ vehicles, AP/TACC/NOAP should be controlled by the separate AP processor(s).

When the console/dashboard processor crashes or reboots, the vehicle should still be operational, though you won't see current speed or hear the turn signals inside the vehicle, because those are provided by the console/dashboard processor.

What isn't entirely clear is the impact when the vehicle is operating under NOAP. Is the console processor (where the navigation software is located) providing information controlling the route used by NOAP (which causes a problem when the console processor isn't running) or has enough of the route been sent to the AP processors to keep them working, even if the console (NAV) processor is down?

Fortunately, console/dashboard processor crashes, freezes or reboots are infrequent - and since getting our first Tesla in early 2013, we have had that many instances of this happening while the vehicle is in motion - and (at least so far) when it does happen, it hasn't affected driving of the vehicle. And we haven't had any crashes of the other processors that control the actual driving.

This Morning I was on the freeway and on the phone (through the car blue tooth) when all of a sudden the phone disconnected and a loud squeal started to sound. It was extremely loud.

I tried to go to the phone function to hang it up I couldn’t get into any function. Everything was locked. The screen was on BUT locked. The button on the steering wheel were also inoperable. I got off the freeway and all of a sudden the screen and the dash screen went blank.(Dark Screen) as I pulled over to stop it stated to reload and everything started coming back.

I’ve never experienced that. It didn’t seem to drain any of the battery. The turn signals didn’t work when the screen was black. All other mechanical functions like steering and braking did work.

What the heck happened? It was a scary incident. Not comfortable about something like this happening. Car is. 2018 S 100D

Thanks for all the input. I was confident that the car was at least mechanically stable. What bothered me the most was the loud screeching and being locked out of any function so I couldn’t turn down the noise. It was short lived because the screen then went blank and immediately rebooted

The same thing happened to me today. I just backed out of a parking space and the radio changed to a loud hum/buz sound and the screen and all visual indications froze. I was going forward but it said I was in reverse. I pulled into another parking space and put it in park and heard the parking brake operate. It still displayed R and then the screen went dark and the sound quit. Then it rebooted and everything worked normally.

When I first got my Model S about 6 months ago it experienced a few bugs and things not working that were fixed by a reboot so I thought nothing more of it. Now, in the last week I have had 4 instances of something weird happening that required a reboot. Most of them were minor but one was a very unnerving failure of all automatic functions on a busy interstate . Everything failed including Autopilot, HVAC, Audio and map function. If I had turn signals, brake lights or flashers it wasn't evident from inside the car. I still had all manual controls and made my way to the shoulder and rebooted. Concerning that this has suddenly gotten to be a frequent occurrence. Theses issues have happened both before and after the last update.