Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never Happened Before: Both Screens Go Black At Stoplight!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I have a 2018 MS with 70k miles and software version 2023.7.30. Pulled up to a stop light this morning going to work and I hears a low "zap" sound. Now it could've been through my Sirus XM app that I play through Bluetooth I really don't know. Anyway, both screens go black (17" screen and small front screen). I am panicking since this has never happened before and I sure as heck didn't want to get stuck at that light. However, I still could drive my car so I crept forward and when the light was green I drove off. About 3-4 seconds later both screens come on again and my map still showed my trip and the Sirus app continued playing. There was no sound of course when the screens were blank.

After that everything was normal until I pulled into my parking space and then when I tried to put the car in park nothing happened. I tried to put it in reverse, nothing happened, then I tried to put the car in neutral and again nothing happened. Suddenly the front screen (through the steering wheel) turned black again but the 17" didn't. The front screen came on again about 10 seconds later and I could put my car in park and everything was okay.

Sounds to me like a computer issue but it's been at least a few weeks since I had a software update. Does anyone have this happen to them or heard of this happening? I can't be the only one experiencing this. Also when something like this occurs is it recorded and uploaded to Tesla?

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my backup picture was frozen on the 17" screen. I tried backing up but the screen never changed.

Both screens going black, also happens on a normal reboot, has happened to me while driving. Everything still works, but you can't see or adjust them until the system comes back online. Even turn signals work, but you can't tell if they are working. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening. Maybe some very buggy code needed to start over again.

Reactions: Tennesseehorn
Also when something like this occurs is it recorded and uploaded to Tesla?
Nothing is uploaded to Tesla. But there are logs. You can also do a voice command "bug report". I hear this is supposed to take a snapshot of the car's state that's accessible by Tesla. At any rate, schedule a Service Center appointment. I don't know about this case, but they might be able to diagnose remotely by looking at the logs.

Reactions: Tennesseehorn