Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has this major navigation issue happened to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I just got home from our first road trip in our Tesla. We ran into a major navigation problem and I’d like to know if others have experienced the same issue.

We planned to drive from LA to Big Sur, CA. Before the trip, I used A Better Route Planner to map out the trip. We planned to drive along Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, which is a beautiful scenic route.

However, on the actual drive, after we left San Luis Obispo heading north, the Tesla navigation kept telling us to drive east and take the inland route, via the 101, eventually going through Monterey. The inland route was at least 120 miles longer so we ignored the Tesla’s nav and stuck to our original route.

As we kept driving north on Highway 1, I kept waiting for the Tesla to recalculate our route and guide us along Highway 1. But the Tesla nav never “caught on” to our new route. It kept telling us to turn east. When turning east to go inland was not an option, it told us to make U turns. At one point, we were 58 miles away from our hotel due north on Highway 1, and the Tesla nav said we were 204 miles away from our destination.

I did notice that a huge stretch of Highway 1 had no cell service at all. Perhaps this was a factor?

My wife took out her iPhone and we followed the nav on her phone to confirm our route. I don’t understand how her iPhone nav worked just fine and the Tesla nav did not work.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I am left not trusting the Tesla nav for future road trips.

Reactions: Wodensthrall
I had something similar while driving to Mt Washington. We hit a large area with no cell service and we were given an out of the way route to our destination. When we zoomed in on the map and many of the secondary roads were missing. When cell service came back in all the roads came back and a more direct route showed up on the nav screen. I now keep an old Garmin GPS in the car...

I had something similar while driving to Mt Washington. We hit a large area with no cell service and we were given an out of the way route to our destination. When we zoomed in on the map and many of the secondary roads were missing. When cell service came back in all the roads came back and a more direct route showed up on the nav screen. I now keep an old Garmin GPS in the car...

So perhaps when cell service cuts out, the nav goes haywire.

I think its a local traffic advisory along the route you took. I had a similar issue recently that it continued to reroute me 100's of KM out of the way to get to a destination. Turned out there was a fire near the road and there must have been some advisory to avoid the area even though the road was open and clear.

I've been pretty impressed with the quality of the directions from the nav, often more accurate in terms of arrival time than my phone.
Not had it do crazy stuff like that unless I've had re-routing enabled though.
I do wish it had selectable alternatives so I could pick my preferred route, especially on NOA capable routes.
My most wanted option would be an option to prefer routing that prioritized AP/NOA routes, or the routes that allowed the most NOA utilization. Most of the time I'd be happier to let the car take the strain rather than save a few minutes on some fully manual side road :)

I had navigation failures twice so far. Once at Pinecrest lake in Stanislaus national forest, where there was no cell coverage my navigation went blank and would not take any input saying navigation not available. Second time at Pescadero, CA again no cell coverage.

I have found the nav to be pretty unreliable at choosing routes. I't like to use NAO on my way to work, but the only route the nav wants to give me is 7.9 miles as opposed to the 6.1 mile route I drive on my own. If there's a way to change it, I can't figure it out. I'd like to be able to save "preferred" routes for regular commutes.

On a recent road trip (from San Diego to Grants Grove, CA) the nav system wanted me to visit a supercharger in Lone Pine!!!! For those of you familiar with California geography, you'll know that is on the wrong side of the Sierra Nevada, and (even if there _was_ a direct route connecting the two, at least 100 miles out of the way). Again, the onboard route planner did not offer any other options, so I wound up selecting my own route by choosing superchargers I knew actually WERE on the way. The route planner seems at best, useless, and at worst, likely to route unsuspecting tourists hundreds of miles out of their way. I am planning a longer road trip next month, and using an iPad with 3rd-party software to plan my route.

Do you connect the Model 3 to your home WiFi network often? I have logged nearly 30k miles on my Model 3 and have never experienced navigation issues of this sort (there have been minor issues in areas with heavy construction but it has worked well otherwise).

So perhaps when cell service cuts out, the nav goes haywire.

I've noticed the nav and also the autopilot does not like to lose cell coverage. The autopilot in particular has turned off while driving when I passed thru a tunnel and out of cell coverage.

As for directions, I like the options google provides, so I've been finding my route with google maps on my phone before leaving, then sharing those directions with the Tesla app. The directions get sent to the car and as soon as I get in, my nav is ready to go.

gmap1.png gmap22.png gmap3.png

• Informative
Reactions: legendsk