Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hauling a fishing kayak on my model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the group and have owned my model 3 for just over a year now. I bought factory roof racks for it and I was hoping to haul my fishing kayak. I have a set of kayak saddles. My kayak weighs 84 pounds. I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to properly haul the kayak. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get it up on the car. Please feel free to share any recommendations. Thanks!

Here's mine:

20200729_101838.jpg

But it only weighs about 40 pounds. I can lift it like a barbell and put it on the car.

When I had a truck, I could lower it from the ceiling and into the bed, but with the way the garage is laid out, that didn't work with the Tesla.. Perhaps you can do something like that for loading and unloading?

KayakHoist.jpg

Reactions: Clover
Upvote 0
I’ll let you know as soon as I figure out how to get my 65 pound tandem kayak up there. I’ve got the rack and saddles on the car and ready to go.

I used to put the kayak up on a Honda CRV by lifting one end of the kayak and resting it on the rear end of the roof (on a special protective pad designed for that). Then I would lift the other end off the ground and slide the kayak up onto the saddles. Worked great. The pad is specifically designed to protect the car, allow for easy sliding of the kayak, and stay put.

But resting the kayak on the back of the M3 on the glass roof sounds like a real bad idea.

So I’m thinking there might be a way to do it from the side …… by resting the kayak on the car roof frame over the doors (again, on the protective pad) and then raising up the other end and swinging the kayak around to engage the front saddles and then lifting it over onto the rear. Seems like that might work, but I have to experiment with it a bit. Thinking this will work because the roof of the M3 is so low …….. much lower than the CRV.

Also, typically a two person job. My wife helps by stabilizing/steadying the kayak while it is leaning and as I am raising the other end until it engages the saddles.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0