Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Elon's antics changed Canadians' views towards Tesla?

Has your view on Tesla changed in the last few months given Elon's antics at Twitter?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get why people care about celebrity culture so much. I use Microsoft products all day long, do I care what Satya Nadella does in his free time? Heck no.
I eat Kelloggs cereal every morning, do I care what Steve Cahillane does in his bedroom or at his afterparties on the weekend? heck no.

So many vocal/viral social media people have idolized Musk for so long and if they all of a sudden have changing views, we have to hear these same social media people blab on about their opinions.

As is frequently the case with polls, my response is not listed. My opinion of Tesla has not changed in the slightest. I picked up a Model X one week ago and it is every bit the amazing vehicle I hoped it would be. That said, my opinion of Elon musk has diminished.

While he is the largest shareholder and is also the CEO of Tesla, he is not the company. The company is still filled with over 100,000 dedicated workers working on a truly inspirational mission and trying to change the world for the better. I fully support that. The company is executing better than ever before and in my mind, I am able to separate Tesla‘s performance from Elon Musk’s recent antics.

By way of contrast, we used to own two diesel Volkswagens. In that case, the lies cheating and deception was a company issue, and I will never be able to forgive Volkswagen for their sins. Not one single individual but the whole entire company. There is a vast difference in my mind. I am not going to make Tesla responsible for all of Elon musk’s most recent antics, especially when they are not even involving Tesla, but another company entirely.

I think Tesla is somewhat unique because Elon has been an evangelist for EVs and sustainable transportation. It is very different from Microsoft in the age of Satya Nadella - the closest comparable may be Apple under Steve Jobs.

For many people, buying a Tesla made you feel good for a variety of reasons. Elon is now doing things that, arguably, alienate many Tesla buyers who would tend to be more left-leaning. Many on the right have for years (decades?) claimed that there is no such thing as climate change and EVs make no sense. Elon is now cozying up to many of these folks. He moved the company from California, which has done a lot to promote EVs, to Texas where there is a lot of climate change denialism. And certainly Elon does not appear to be very focused on Tesla in the last two months, he is busy at Twitter and fighting culture wars.

I guess, for me, I would like to see a new CEO. Tesla probably needed Elon at the start but they are no punchy upstart company anymore. Someone else is probably needed now.

Maybe I read too much into things but I think the biggest gripes I have with Tesla CARS now (not the company) can be attributed directly to Elon. He seems very hands-on in some of the decision making. Stuff like the Yoke.... that is a solution for a problem that does not exist but it is pretty easy to picture him in a meeting making that decision. He's been over-promising and under-delivering on FSD since the start. Things like that do not help Telsa the brand, no matter what you think of the CEO.

I am definitely never buying a gas car again, and my next EV will probably still be a Tesla though. The engineering is just so far ahead of everyone else. Not everything is perfect, but the things that really suck (auto wipers anyone) are not the most significant things, but the stuff they get right (Supercharging especially) make up for that.

Reactions: doubeld and Smytty
I don't get why people care about celebrity culture so much. I use Microsoft products all day long, do I care what Satya Nadella does in his free time? Heck no.
I eat Kelloggs cereal every morning, do I care what Steve Cahillane does in his bedroom or at his afterparties on the weekend? heck no.
I guess the difference there is both of those CEOs go out of their way to NOT make their way into the spotlight to shine bad publicity on their companies. The boards that employ them would probably fire them if they did.

That thing about power and money… Elon has proven, to be the biggest douche bag around. Perhaps he always was, and had the charisma of a Steve Jobs, but being one of the richest man on the planet, has also made him the most arrogant. Thankfully, pretty much most of the people who work for Tesla are great people. This proves, yet again, that people make the company.