Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Elon harming the future of Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good points in this thread.

Elon in 2024 reminds me of Steve Jobs, without the benefit of the growth that came from being fired from the company he created. It almost feels like he needs a few years to sober up, grow up, and then come back. I think he is a bit like Jobs — not technically skilled necessarily, but he was an asset and could be again down the road.

I have the freedom to say whatever I want to say, yet.... I have the wisdom to recognize that sometimes it's better for me to keep my thoughts to myself. Why? Well, I have to consider my job. Some of my viewpoints wouldn't be popular there. I have to consider my family, etc. He is certainly free to think and say whatever he wants to, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If his need to express himself starts to hurt SpaceX or Tesla, the board has a duty to the shareholders to take action for the good of the company.

I wanted a Tesla for years and was a stockholder. I started looking elsewhere because of Elon Musk and I sold my stock because he is a big risk to the company. That said, when I was finally ready to get a new car in July, after looking at other EVs really closely, I bought a Model Y because of Autopilot and Superchargers. And several times since July, Elon's made me question my association with his brand.

The brand needs to appeal to everyone. There are ways to express your political views that don't alienate your customers. I would characterize Apple is a left of center brand, but Rush Limbaugh was one of their biggest fans.

Some good points in this thread.

Elon in 2024 reminds me of Steve Jobs, without the benefit of the growth that came from being fired from the company he created. It almost feels like he needs a few years to sober up, grow up, and then come back. I think he is a bit like Jobs — not technically skilled necessarily, but he was an asset and could be again down the road.

I have the freedom to say whatever I want to say, yet.... I have the wisdom to recognize that sometimes it's better for me to keep my thoughts to myself. Why? Well, I have to consider my job. Some of my viewpoints wouldn't be popular there. I have to consider my family, etc. He is certainly free to think and say whatever he wants to, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If his need to express himself starts to hurt SpaceX or Tesla, the board has a duty to the shareholders to take action for the good of the company.

I wanted a Tesla for years and was a stockholder. I started looking elsewhere because of Elon Musk and I sold my stock because he is a big risk to the company. That said, when I was finally ready to get a new car in July, after looking at other EVs really closely, I bought a Model Y because of Autopilot and Superchargers. And several times since July, Elon's made me question my association with his brand.

The brand needs to appeal to everyone. There are ways to express your political views that don't alienate your customers. I would characterize Apple is a left of center brand, but Rush Limbaugh was one of their biggest fans.
I don't think Elon is running much, at this point he is figurehead. Half of the time he even doesn't know what is going on.

If he was running things he would not have time to play video games on twitter for hours...

Tesla is company that employs what, 125,000 people. You'll likely disagree with what lot of those employees think and believe. If product is best on the market it doesn't really matter.

I don't think Elon is running much, at this point he is figurehead. Half of the time he even doesn't know what is going on.

If he was running things he would not have time to play video games on twitter for hours...

Tesla is company that employs what, 125,000 people. You'll likely disagree with what lot of those employees think and believe. If product is best on the market it doesn't really matter.
I’ve got to wonder about Elon’s big company wide meetings he’s holding with SpaceX and Tesla later this month. Maybe he’ll finally step aside. Perhaps to work on the Vivek campaign or something super duper important to humanity like that. At least a few months later we’ll finally get functioning autowipers when they add the $1 part.

FWIW I say this as an ardent defender of Elon in the past and someone who plans on buying many Teslas to come.

I’m buying more TSLA and cars because of Elon. Just because you don’t like what he says doesn’t mean he isn’t doing a great job.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 12.53.09 PM.jpeg

You’re sure he is a genius?

I’ve got to wonder about Elon’s big company wide meetings he’s holding with SpaceX and Tesla later this month. Maybe he’ll finally step aside. Perhaps to work on the Vivek campaign or something super duper important to humanity like that. At least a few months later we’ll finally get functioning autowipers when they add the $1 part.

FWIW I say this as an ardent defender of Elon in the past and someone who plans on buying many Teslas to come.
I was a big fan of his, and of course the company for well over a decade. On my third Tesla. He’s making it very difficult to stay.

He might not be running things, but he definitely forces design and engineering decisions that no normal person would do. So he definitely is making an impact. And he reflects greatly on the brand.

Reactions: terranx and teko
Somehow free speech isn't always free speech.
Doxxing the whereabouts of his plane, person, or family is Not free speech. It’s propaganda to endanger someone’s life. Same would happen on this very forum if people started sharing personal “how to find a member” posts which is wrong and dangerous.

Somehow free speech isn't always free speech.
The verge has a long and very consistent history as Elon haters. Try to find a positive Elon story they’ve done and you won’t find much. That said, I think the issue here was doxxing of Elon himself. So maybe your ok with doxxing as free speech as long as it’s Elon.

Reactions: Yelobird and teko
So stupid when someone says they won’t buy a Tesla because of Elon.

If they use that for every company then they would not be buying much. Can say Lucid is mostly owned by the Saudi’s (horrible woman’s rights reputation), VW lied in dieselgate and was started by the Nazi’s, I could go on and on. Just laughable when they say that about Elon.

Guessing pre Covid those same people loved Elon.
It may be stupid not to buy a Tesla because of Elon, but that is the way the world works and he seems oblivious to it. It's incredibly naive for him to think that statements he makes will not have a negative effect on sales “because people will still buy the best car.” Free speech doesn't mean that nothing you say will have a cost associated with it. It’s not exactly rocket science, which is unfortunate. If it was Rocket Science maybe he’d understand it and stop alienating so many potential customers. .

Putting it another way, if you own a store you don't put political signs in your windows. Sure, you have freedom of speech and you have the right to do it, but you run the risk of alienating half of your customers. If you have the only store in town, you might not suffer financially. As soon as someone opens another store with similar products, the views you express may cause you to lose a lot of business.

Please move my post, as well. I wrote it yesterday but didn’t hit send until just now, before seeing the other thread.

Reactions: msm859 and teko
Doxxing the whereabouts of his plane, person, or family is Not free speech. It’s propaganda to endanger someone’s life. Same would happen on this very forum if people started sharing personal “how to find a member” posts which is wrong and dangerous.
Reposting public information is in fact free speech.

A privately owned forum can restrict free speech, hence rules against doxxing and the such. Same applies for twitter of course, but it goes against Elon’s narrative that he wanted twitter to be a platform for absolute free speech. Seems he really only meant that he wants people to be able to post hate speech without consequence.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and dsm363
You can't trust the survey because people like me where I told friends, family, and co-workers that I'm never buying another Tesla because of Elon but here I am a few months later likely getting ready to order my third one.

I'm a total hypocrite :rolleyes:
Same boat here. I’m definitely a hypocrite. But I couldn’t resist the chance to own a 1000hp daily drivable car for $90k

Reactions: sorka
1) It's public information
2) It tracked his plane and any other plane with public information, not him personally.

You think banning journalists from his platform who are critical of him or his companies (not flight tracker since you have an issue with that) is promoting free speech?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.