Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I locked in a price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
try 20%+ ... Rivian is selling you a capable truck with 300miles for $70k and the F150 Lightning with 300 miles range will run ~$55k ...
The Rivian and the Cybertruck have always had different buyers. Much of the appeal of the Cybertruck from day 1 has been around the value. If they lose that, they lose a lot of their pre-orders.

The whole point of the Cybertruck was to see what happens when you create a vehicle from the ground up to be easy and inexpensive to manufacture.

The Rivian is a “Luxury” truck.

The two were never built with the same goals.

Which will most likely be the price they advertised.

Same as Rivian & Ford will charge same price as advertised.

No, as of right now, there is no Tesla Advertised price. It's Blank. Ford can still change the price as there is no way to configure a Lightning at the moment. Rivian has a price and that's what you will pay. Tesla honors pricing when you have placed your order not when you have made your reservation.

This is from your order agreement, go look at your account:

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to pre-order the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) that you configured when you made your Pre-Order Payment and by taking delivery, completing the transaction when the Vehicle is ready for delivery from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

No, as of right now, there is no Tesla Advertised price. It's Blank. Ford can still change the price as there is no way to configure a Lightning at the moment. Rivian has a price and that's what you will pay. Tesla honors pricing when you have placed your order not when you have made your reservation.

This is from your order agreement, go look at your account:

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to pre-order the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) that you configured when you made your Pre-Order Payment and by taking delivery, completing the transaction when the Vehicle is ready for delivery from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

Ford is still advertising the F150 at $40k. Rivian is still selling the Rivian at the price they promoted in 2018 even though they are almost a year late and fighting these exact same supply shortages with much less leverage due to smaller size.

I know what’s on the pre-order agreement.

I also know what Tesla has done in the past. The Model 3 was very tight financially. They still launched it and in spite of delaying the SR until the very last still launched the Model 3 SR.

You can go back and forth on what Tesla can do. Nobody is disputing that. No point debating what we all agree on.

The point is they’ve always had this flexibility. Why would Tesla change their stripes now?

Also… you can’t un-advertise something. They announced the prices. They can’t un-announce them.

Ford is still advertising the F150 at $40k. Rivian is still selling the Rivian at the price they promoted in 2018 even though they are almost a year late and fighting these exact same supply shortages with much less leverage due to smaller size.

I know what’s on the pre-order agreement.

I also know what Tesla has done in the past. The Model 3 was very tight financially. They still launched it and in spite of delaying the SR until the very last still launched the Model 3 SR.

You can go back and forth on what Tesla can do. Nobody is disputing that. No point debating what we all agree on.

The point is they’ve always had this flexibility. Why would Tesla change their stripes now?

Also… you can’t un-advertise something. They announced the prices. They can’t un-announce them.
that is *literally* what they just did.

I think some people need to go back and rewatch the unveil of the Cybertruck.

After people got over the shell shock of the appearance of the truck, the only other bomb which really blew the crowd away was the price. That is singularly the most interesting thing about this truck. I know I’m not the only person who feels this way. Value is absolutely a feature.

Musk has on multiple occasions talked about how they don’t make concept cars then disappoint people with production cars which are not as good.

You can see him talking about it in the Leno piece here.

Increasing the Cybertruck pricing after the fact absolutely goes against that entire concept. They might as well try to replace it with a mini-van or and SUV if they don’t hit the price point. I’m not alone on this and Tesla knows it.

You mean the way Rivian, Ford, and GM are? All of these players are operating in the same market, same time span.

How is this magically unique to Tesla?

Same time span? Ford just announced the Lightning earlier this year with order banks opening up in 2 weeks and deliveries scheduled for May 2022. To top it all off they are using ICE F-150 components except the powertrain and suspension. Tesla on the other hand is using totally different material, an exoskeleton, has to pass all safety test/regulations, is still waiting on their new batteries and factory to be up and running. They announced the CT like what? 2 years ago? Times have changed and prices for materials have changed, why is this so hard to understand?

Same time span? Ford just announced the Lightning earlier this year with order banks opening up in 2 weeks and deliveries scheduled for May 2022. To top it all off they are using ICE F-150 components except the powertrain and suspension. Tesla on the other hand is using totally different material, an exoskeleton, has to pass all safety test/regulations, is still waiting on their new batteries and factory to be up and running. They announced the CT like what? 2 years ago? Times have changed and prices for materials have changed, why is this so hard to understand?
Umm… Rivian. GM?

Magically only affects Tesla.

Everything you talk about with regards to the CT was known at the time of launch. Tesla designed the truck around being affordable and easy to manufacture. Their battery cost which is the single biggest cost on the truck is going to be much lower than the Ford. Likely half. Stainless means Tesla doesn’t need to spend hundreds of millions on a paint shop.

I expect the $39,990 version will never be built and people who ordered that configuration will have the option to switch to the $49,990 version or the $69,990 version. I expect Tesla will stick by those prices for those of us who ordered, but there isn’t anything requiring them to do that.

• Disagree
Reactions: raptor5244 and Ogre
I expect the $39,990 version will never be built and people who ordered that configuration will have the option to switch to the $49,990 version or the $69,990 version. I expect Tesla will stick by those prices for those of us who ordered, but there isn’t anything requiring them to do that.
Or they will do what they did with the Model 3 and Model Y and push out the least profitable RWD version until the very end of the line, sometime in 2027 when battery costs are more manageable. The RWD version was only 5% or so of volume and removing the option to select it means it may not be on the menu for new reservations.

Or they will do what they did with the Model 3 and Model Y and push out the least profitable RWD version until the very end of the line, sometime in 2027 when battery costs are more manageable. The RWD version was only 5% or so of volume and removing the option to select it means it may not be on the menu for new reservations.
For the model 3, they started production with the RWD, the performance version came next.

Reactions: Ogre