Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to "reset" Sentry/Dash Cam USB every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am having a problem. I have the built in USB drive in the glove compartment with the Tesla branded USB drive. It works great, when it works. Since I've had the car, I have to "reset" the dash cam/Sentry mode every morning by pulling out the USB and reinserting it. Once I pull it out a reinsert it, the dash cam and sentry icons appear again. This can't be normal behavior. Does anyone else have this happen and/or know of a solution for this problem? It seems to work throughout the day, but when the car sleeps it goes away again and has to be reset. I did try reformatting the drive but it still exhibits this behavior.
Thanks,
Pat

I assume you have already tried a hard reboot of the car? (brake pedal + both scroll wheels pressed) If not, try that first before different drive.

Wonder if it is a USB power up and handshake issue, the car does not negotiate and see the USB drive at power up because the drive is not ready yet, thus requiring a removal and insertion of the drive to get the car to see it. What happens if you move this USB drive to another USB port, just as a test. No idea if all USB ports are the same, could be some issue affecting this specific USB port.

I'd try a different brand of USB drive or check if there is a firmware update for the drive.

Same. I sometimes see the dashcam icon with a red dot (which I think means "working") and I've seen it with a green dot... which means what? I had to reset the system to get out of that state, then it needed me to reformat the USB stick. (Mine's the Tesla stick that came installed in the glovebox).

Reactions: patnshan
Thanks for sharing this! This just started happening for me this week too, and it's driving me crazy. :rolleyes:

I have the Tesla glovebox USB drive for Dashcam/Sentry, and another USB drive in the center console with music. Most of the time I enter the car, the Dashcam doesn't turn on. When I check the settings under "Security", it says "Format drive to enable dashcam". And if I click on the "format" button, it formats my music USB drive, wiping everything out, and stores Dashcam/Sentry footage on there.

The solution I have found is to unplug my music USB drive from the center console, wait for Dashcam to automatically initialize (using the glovebox USB drive), and then plug in the music USB later on. But when the car sleeps, it goes back to the bad state, and I have to repeat this all over again.

I wonder if this is a recent software bug? Obviously it knows about the glovebox USB drive since it's able to automatically switch over to it once my music USB drive is unplugged.

Reactions: patnshan
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same issue. I read in the Model 3 forums people having the same issue and that by using a microSD card in a USB interface, it seems to correct the issue. I went ahead and ordered the two parts and I'll report back if it solves the issue for my model Y.

[URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5[/URL]

[URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X[/URL]
Hello. I ended up tossing the crappy Tesla provided thumb drive and got the micro SD with USB adapter. It’s been working fine since. Seems Tesla provided faulty drives or at least ones that aren’t capable of being constantly rewritten.

At least for me, this issue seems to be resolved in the latest software released last week, v. 2021.4.6
Now the Sentry drive stays alive even after deep sleep overnight.

I took my car in to a Tesla Service Center a few weeks ago and they diagnosed the issue. Essentially, the newer vehicles with the USB port in the glovebox are wired slightly differently than the older ones. The USB port in the glovebox is always powered on and never shuts off with ignition off or sleep (which makes sense because you want Sentry to be active at all times).

But the 2 USB ports in the center console are connected to the MCU, and that shuts off after a while when the car goes to sleep, along with the MCU. So when the car powers back on, it powers on the MCU and the 2 center console ports, and detects no USB drive plugged in there (or detects the music USB drive and asks for a reformat). Somehow it "forgets" about the USB port in the glovebox existing at all.

Looks like maybe I spoke too soon :(
After working perfectly for a few days, this morning the drive didn't wake up after the sleep. Upon power on, I saw the usual "format drive to use Dashcam" message. I had to resolve to the old yank the drives and plug in again to get Dashcam to work again.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung