Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having a Kenriko Tesla Model 3 Matte Black Console Wrap Kit Professionally installed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not confident after watching the video he provides, don't let people bash you.

maybe it's just me, but replies like this aren't helpful.

nobody was bashing him, not even remotely. some of us suggested he would be able to install it himself if he just gave it a shot, but of course he's free to pay someone to do it if he wants.

replies like this just end up causing more problems when people come into the middle of a thread and read just a single post, and then operate as if people were bashing him (and reply according to that separate set of facts), and it turns into a flame war...when in reality nobody was bashing him to begin with. not as big of a problem here, but it happens on reddit all the time...

Reactions: MXWing
Though the thread is stale, my car is still new. :) And I just finished my brushed black metal install.... plus a little bling. Man, it came out nice. (And I'll be honest here, I wanted to show it off because my wife sure doesn't care! Didn't even notice.... sigh)

How it eventually comes out depends on how detailed and picky you are. Ain't nobody more picky than I am. Mine looks like it was forged from this fancy black metal. (For the record, and to answer an earlier question in this thread - my detail guy (who wrapped and tinted the car) wanted $125 to do this, but would only do it in the matte black. So I said thanks, ordered from Kenriko and did it in about 45 minutes one cool morning. This is how the car should have come IMO. Beyond the screen, it is the focal point of the interior, and that piano black is just not cutting it. Hell, it was hard to keep it clean just for the few minutes between the wipe-down and the application of the vinyl!

Oh.... I should mention that I removed all my console trim to assure a better job on the sides of everything. Nothing needed to be "tucked" on the sides. I was able to just fold and press with my fingers. Note that there is NOTHING to wrap the edges on the cup-holder part. That concerned the heck out of me until I realized that the faux metal trim on the sides actually covers the edges of the cup holder once reinstalled.

181012.021.JPG
181012.082.JPG

Last edited:
Oh.... I should mention that I removed all my console trim to assure a better job on the sides of everything. Nothing needed to be "tucked" on the sides. I was able to just fold and press with my fingers. Note that there is NOTHING to wrap the edges on the cup-holder part. That concerned the heck out of me until I realized that the faux metal trim on the sides actually covers the edges of the cup holder once reinstalled.

View attachment 343686 View attachment 343687

You're saying you physically dismantled the trim to apply the wrap and then reassembled it afterwards? Do you have a guide for doing this? Sounds like that would make installation easier.

You're saying you physically dismantled the trim to apply the wrap and then reassembled it afterwards? Do you have a guide for doing this? Sounds like that would make installation easier.
Yup. That's what I'm saying. :) For past vehicles, I've made step-by-step instructions for every mod I did. And these days I'm afraid that I just don't have the time or energy that the documenting process requires. BUT, I can tell you that the carpeted sides of the console are all snaps that can be pulled by hand. The padded trim on the sides of the console are all snaps that can be pulled by hand. And the faux brushed metal trim bits are screwed in with T20's. You just have to have the cojones to start (carefully, but firmly!) yanking. Some of those clips are stiff at first. Before reassembly, I always lubricate them for an easier process the next time I'm in there.

I wouldn't say that it is "easier" to put the vinyl on when you account for the effort of removing the trim. But I think that a better job is possible this way. I wish the folks who make these kits would create one for a "trim off" install. Because I could have used some extra to wrap the sides of the cup holder that are normally covered with the faux metal trim... but are fully exposed with the trim off. Note that in this image, I also removed the cup holder top completely (can only be done with the trim is first removed).

Here's what it looks like pulled apart:
181012.018.JPG

There you go. But, unlike the video... don't use a tool for the side trim. Just pull with your fingers. Harder to go wrong that way. And the cupholder itself does not need to be removed for vinyl wrap. In fact, it would make the job more difficult, because you need to hold that thing still when you're tugging and pressing on the vinyl. I removed the cup holder only because I was also tapping into the 12V power of the back of the cig lighter. (removal of that piece was the most difficult part of the job... too many chances to break it, and it is held on there really well!) So that cable on the bottom right is where I made my connections after fishing my new power wires down from above. The guy in the vid fished his camera plug back to the outlet... I made a new outlet up front. Best to NOT remove the cup holder (or taking the carpeted lower sections off) if you're just doing the vinyl work.

There you go. But, unlike the video... don't use a tool for the side trim. Just pull with your fingers. Harder to go wrong that way. And the cupholder itself does not need to be removed for vinyl wrap. In fact, it would make the job more difficult, because you need to hold that thing still when you're tugging and pressing on the vinyl. I removed the cup holder only because I was also tapping into the 12V power of the back of the cig lighter. (removal of that piece was the most difficult part of the job... too many chances to break it, and it is held on there really well!) So that cable on the bottom right is where I made my connections after fishing my new power wires down from above. The guy in the vid fished his camera plug back to the outlet... I made a new outlet up front. Best to NOT remove the cup holder (or taking the carpeted lower sections off) if you're just doing the vinyl work.

Honestly I just tried to install the center console kit on the cupholders, and my first attempt was a complete mess - I didn’t fully understand the importance of lining up the inner cup material, and by the time I got to that point it was too late to fix. Tried it a second time and did that part well, but the “tuck the material under the plastic” using the orange plastic blade was difficult, and I ended up making some jagged cuts in the material, either with the plastic blade or the razor blade.

I don’t know whether I want to try again pulling the cupholder piece off or have a shop do it, but I requested a replacement because not only is the trim not looking good, but you can see some of the extra material stuck underneath the plastic. Ugh.

I have the matte black wrap from Abstract Ocean, installed it myself after watching a couple of videos and it is near perfect, just like it was built to look that way and I didn't remove any trim to hide the edges.

In the end, I think it about how comfortable you are with this as a DIY. Small price to pay to have a pro install it since you have to look at it every single time you sit in your car! (Think of it as the 2 tanks of gas you didn't have to buy.) I also think that the patterned wraps like the CF and brushed metallics are less forgiving than the solid ones.