Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spleen:
I would say that most of it was user error. I was pressing the learn button after the 3rd continue button on the screen--should have been the other way around. I also had problems with my 2 button remote. A friend/fellow owner suggested using separate remotes for each. I don't know if that was an issue or not, but couldn't hurt. Lastly, Barry showed me where the antenna was. The closest that you can get (without removing the nose cone) is to put the remote on the floor of the frunk against the front rim, about 2" to the driver's side of the frunk light.

Spleen:
I would say that most of it was user error. I was pressing the learn button after the 3rd continue button on the screen--should have been the other way around. I also had problems with my 2 button remote. A friend/fellow owner suggested using separate remotes for each. I don't know if that was an issue or not, but couldn't hurt. Lastly, Barry showed me where the antenna was. The closest that you can get (without removing the nose cone) is to put the remote on the floor of the frunk against the front rim, about 2" to the driver's side of the frunk light.

Glad to hear that you figured it out. By sheer luck, that location that you describe is exactly where I held my remotes to program them for HomeLink. I'm so smart retrospectively ;)

Jkam, I don't think it's buyer's remorse. It may be that the car was too costly for someone. It is too bad. No buyer's remorse from my side.

FYI, the Tesla online store has rear mats for the trunk and footwell for rear facing seats available now. The mats had been out of stock for quite some time. If you want a set, I would act quickly. I ordered mine.

Shop Tesla Gear All-Weather Model S Trunk Set

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, seems odd, but some people do have buyer's remorse. At any rate, I'd much rather see an owner sell their car on their own as opposed to returning to Tesla and making it an orphan. I never understood why there are so many orphans.

I took my car into the SC today for the recall work. I got there at 12:30 pm and was out of there by 2 pm. They were fast. They also received a service bulletin for the rear windows and they had to install clips in each door. They said that it would take 30 minutes each door but it turned out to be shorter. Very cool and great service.

I did talk with Barry about when the SC is going to be officially open. He said that it may be late September but he doesn't know yet.

I wonder how much they want for it? they may have purchased it speculating they could get more $ than what they paid for it.:frown:

It's being sold by Volvo so looks like it was sold originally as a trade in. Ad's misleading too - says it's a performance but those are 19 inch wheels and the badge on the back just says "85" instead of P85 - it's a S85.

Beware upgrading your firmware

If you have not been following the main TMC forum or the TM forum you may not be aware of an issue with firmware 4.5 upgrades. A significant number of owners who upgrade to the latest version of 4.5 find that the cooling fan behind the 17" display kicks on and stays on producing a rather audible noise which mars the beautiful quiet of the car.

Most of the posts on TMC indicate that the latest version of 4.5 which is 1.33.54 resolved the noisy fan issue. However, my coworker who received his car last week here, VIN 110xx, which was running an earlier version of 4.5 just texted me that he installed 1.33.54 tonight and the fan noise which was not previously there appeared with the upgrade.

If you have received a notice to upgrade your firmware you may consider holding off until this issue is definitely resolved for all cars, that is unless you don't mind an obnoxious fan noise coming from behind the 17" screen.

This seems a bit like a lottery. Some cars upgrade without problems, some cars fan problems are fixed with .54 and as in my coworker's case some cars fan problems appear with .54 indicating the problem is not yet fully resolved.

So I got an email today from TM saying my MS is entering production and was able to immediately compete the delivery questionnaire. Delivery window indicated July 27 - august 10. Super excited, but also wondering how accurate everyone else's delivery window was, given the unique aspects of shipping here?

Also, did anyone check the box for trade in? What do they do since there's no AutoNation here?

Last edited:
Beware upgrading your firmware

If you have not been following the main TMC forum or the TM forum you may not be aware of an issue with firmware 4.5 upgrades. A significant number of owners who upgrade to the latest version of 4.5 find that the cooling fan behind the 17" display kicks on and stays on producing a rather audible noise which mars the beautiful quiet of the car.

Most of the posts on TMC indicate that the latest version of 4.5 which is 1.33.54 resolved the noisy fan issue. However, my coworker who received his car last week here, VIN 110xx, which was running an earlier version of 4.5 just texted me that he installed 1.33.54 tonight and the fan noise which was not previously there appeared with the upgrade.

If you have received a notice to upgrade your firmware you may consider holding off until this issue is definitely resolved for all cars, that is unless you don't mind an obnoxious fan noise coming from behind the 17" screen.

This seems a bit like a lottery. Some cars upgrade without problems, some cars fan problems are fixed with .54 and as in my coworker's case some cars fan problems appear with .54 indicating the problem is not yet fully resolved.

Still have yet to be offered 4.5 and planning on deferring for a while until things settle down a little.

So I got an email today from TM saying my MS is entering production and was able to immediately compete the delivery questionnaire. Delivery window indicated July 27 - august 10. Super excited, but also wondering how accurate everyone else's delivery window was, given the unique aspects of shipping here?

Also, did anyone check the box for trade in? What do they do since there's no AutoNation here?

We checked off the box and was told by Tesla later that they had no option available for trade ins for Hawaii and that they wouldn't be able to handle it. We ended up dealing with the old car on our own.

Tesla has no trade in arrangement here in Hawaii at this time. I had excellent luck with Servco. They gave me Kelly Blue Book dealer trade in value for my old car (2011 Leaf) which is about as good as people are reporting from AutoNation on the mainland. They were very professional, polite and quick. I originally went to my Nissan dealer and they did not offer even close to KBB value.

Tesla has no trade in arrangement here in Hawaii at this time. I had excellent luck with Servco. They gave me Kelly Blue Book dealer trade in value for my old car (2011 Leaf) which is about as good as people are reporting from AutoNation on the mainland. They were very professional, polite and quick. I originally went to my Nissan dealer and they did not offer even close to KBB value.

Thanks - That's what i figured, since it also asked me if I was interested in Tesla financing, despite someone telling me that it's not available in Hawaii. The questionnaire is not tailored at all and just a simple data collection form. They really should work on changing that, since people like us here in HI will likely get very confused.

Our window was exact. They understand the shipping issues and factor them in.

Mine was a week late :( Was sitting on the dock in Oakland for a week for some reason. Double-check with them to see if it gets shipped once they say it's ready for transit. Seems like they've been getting shipped out on Wednesdays.

Aloha gmtom1. I know it's exciting to finally be given a delivery window, and in response to your question about accuracy I would advise this: accept that change is the only constant! As hard as it is, try not to fixate on a specific date. My experience started in mid-March, when I was told it would be "three weeks". Then, in early April I was told, "three weeks". Then, in late April, I was told "three weeks". Then in mid-May, I was told "three weeks". When the car finally arrived at the docks on June 3, I was given a window of June 13 to 17. They called me on the 12th of June and asked me if I could possibly pick her up early!!! Of course, I agreed and have been wearing a Tesla Grin ever since.

I have had Momi for 16 days and I have loved every minute of it. I did not do a trade-in, so I can't answer that question. But I can say, patience and a positive attitude will carry the day. Apparently, the major hang up is that once the boat arrives in Hawaii, there is no guarantee how long it will take for your car to be delivered to Waipahu. The ILWU workers will release the cars when they are ready to release the cars. Mine was at the docks for a week! Once Barry and the guys get your car, they will bust their okoles to turn it around for you, but until they get it, they are powerless.

The only troubling experience I have had is with a glass cleaner that I used on the windshield. My boys gave me a bottle of "Invisible Glass" for Father's Day. I used it last weekend as part of a thorough cleaning. I thought it would be a good product to avoid water spotting. The next day, I was on the road to Mokuleia and went through several heavy windward showers. But the third one, my wipers were seriously stuttering on the windshield. I actually tried to avoid using the wipers because I was afraid that they would break...they were "sticking" that badly. Anyway, when I got home, I used a micro fiber on the glass and it was like total friction...it was impossible to drag the cloth across the glass. So, I got some turtle wax and waxed the windshield. The next day, it rained again (it always rains in Kaneohe) and I was out on the road. The wax lasted about 10 minutes, and then the wipers started sticking again.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do now? Should I try to "strip" the glass? Is there a product that might reverse the effects of "Invisible Glass"? Have my wiper blades been compromised? I've never had this happen to me before, so I am at a loss as to how to eliminate the problem + prevent water spotting in the future. (I am now trying a product called "Repellent Wash" by Tekon that I got on the internet. I originally got it to keep water spots off the shower door...and it has worked great for three years. But, since the shower door isn't exposed to direct sunlight or the wiping of a windshield wiper, I don't know how it will react under road conditions, so I'm not confident that it will be a reasonable solution. It may be, but I just don't know yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

On a separate note, how about everyone sharing their favorite "showing a stranger your MS" moment.

Mine was when I stopped by Buzz's in Lanikai on the day before Father's Day to pick up a gift card for a friend. There was no parking, of course, so I parked in the driveway on the left side of the restaurant where the employees and deliveries park, and I put on my hazard flashers. I figured I would only be there a minute...just to run in, purchase the card, and run out. Well, as I was walking past the restaurant deck to get to the front door, there were three guys about my age sitting at a table having lunch. Once of them stopped me and started asking about the car...the hazard flashers had caught his attention. We talked for a couple of minutes, but I was getting antsy about being double parked, so I excused myself and went in to get the gift card. When I came out, I had to pass their table again, and they started peppering me with more questions. Seeing that I was not in jeopardy of being towed, I stopped and ended up talking with them for another 10 minutes. Finally, I said, "Hey, do you guys want to go for a ride?" You should have seen their jaws drop! They jumped up from the table, screaming for the waitress to clear their check, and came bolting out of the restaurant. I introduced myself and told them to get in. They were all overwhelmed with the 17-inch screen. We ended up driving around the Lanikai loop a couple of times, and they just kept going on about their good fortune and my amazing generosity. Turns out that one of the guys heads a department at UH and since I am an undergraduate and graduate alumni, we quickly connected. Then, I learned that his father founded the professional organization that I belong to. So we moved from 6 degrees of separate down to about 3. We ended the drive with handshakes all around. I completely made these fellows day!

Leeward, Wait. Don't do anything yet. I have written stonersolutions.com, the maker of Invisible Glass. Let's see what they say.

Leeward, I've already heard back from Stoner Inc. They have a question. Which are you using?
Hi;
Thanks for the inquiry. Are you referring to regular Invisible Glass or Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent?
Kind Regards;

Leeward, she provided more.

She recommends you contact her directly, to remove the silly middleman (me) so she can get more info from you. Keep us in the loop, please.

[email protected]

Sue Burch
Stoner Inc.
(p) 1-800-227-5538 x3109

Last edited:
The only troubling experience I have had is with a glass cleaner that I used on the windshield. My boys gave me a bottle of "Invisible Glass" for Father's Day. I used it last weekend as part of a thorough cleaning. I thought it would be a good product to avoid water spotting. The next day, I was on the road to Mokuleia and went through several heavy windward showers. But the third one, my wipers were seriously stuttering on the windshield. I actually tried to avoid using the wipers because I was afraid that they would break...they were "sticking" that badly. Anyway, when I got home, I used a micro fiber on the glass and it was like total friction...it was impossible to drag the cloth across the glass. So, I got some turtle wax and waxed the windshield. The next day, it rained again (it always rains in Kaneohe) and I was out on the road. The wax lasted about 10 minutes, and then the wipers started sticking again.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do now? Should I try to "strip" the glass? Is there a product that might reverse the effects of "Invisible Glass"? Have my wiper blades been compromised? I've never had this happen to me before, so I am at a loss as to how to eliminate the problem + prevent water spotting in the future. (I am now trying a product called "Repellent Wash" by Tekon that I got on the internet. I originally got it to keep water spots off the shower door...and it has worked great for three years. But, since the shower door isn't exposed to direct sunlight or the wiping of a windshield wiper, I don't know how it will react under road conditions, so I'm not confident that it will be a reasonable solution. It may be, but I just don't know yet.)

That sounds bizarre, but I had a similar type of problem when I polished my car. I gave my car a wash and then applied a coat of Zaino polish. Afterwards I was feeling the panels on the car and they were rough to the touch. I tried to give the car another wash, but the rough feeling did not go away. Long story short. I stripped the car of the polish and I clay barred the car. Then I put two coats of Zaino on the car. Now the car looks great, repels the rain and is smooth to touch.

I'm stumped why the car had such a rough feel. I'm pretty meticulous about maintaining the car. The only explanation I have is maybe I didn't wash the the car thoroughly enough before I put the coat of polish on and/or some kind of residue built up on my car, but it still doesn't make sense to me. I was pretty busy a couple of weekends ago performing all the work.

My guess would be to strip the glass and start over.

Re: trade in - traded in one car to the dealership we purchased from back in February. It was the easiest, cleanest way to get rid of one car.

Re: delivery - mine is an orphan, so slightly different protocols apply. However, I was told on 5/24 that I would get the car at the absolute latest (and that was an overestimate) by 6/20/13. Week after week the car was not sent and I was simply told I would get the car 2-3 weeks from when it shipped. My car finally got on a boat last week, and I picked it up a couple of hours ago. I was frustrated with the wait, but have to say it was worth it. The car is spectactular. Amazing drive, and even more amazing technology. I got a warning about the tire system, but it went away when I turned the car off and on again, so I hope it is not a big deal.

*Tesla grin* My son will have the biggest grin when he sees it later this afternoon.

Leeward, Wait. Don't do anything yet. I have written stonersolutions.com, the maker of Invisible Glass. Let's see what they say.

Leeward, I've already heard back from Stoner Inc. They have a question. Which are you using?
Hi;
Thanks for the inquiry. Are you referring to regular Invisible Glass or Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent?
Kind Regards;

Leeward, she provided more.

She recommends you contact her directly, to remove the silly middleman (me) so she can get more info from you. Keep us in the loop, please.

[email protected]

Sue Burch
Stoner Inc.
(p) 1-800-227-5538 x3109

Wow Akikiki! Can I hire you as my personal assistant? Ha! You are incredible! I left a message for Sue and I expect she'll call back tomorrow. Mahalo! (Btw, it's the one with the rain repellant)

- - - Updated - - -

Re: trade in - traded in one car to the dealership we purchased from back in February. It was the easiest, cleanest way to get rid of one car.

Re: delivery - mine is an orphan, so slightly different protocols apply. However, I was told on 5/24 that I would get the car at the absolute latest (and that was an overestimate) by 6/20/13. Week after week the car was not sent and I was simply told I would get the car 2-3 weeks from when it shipped. My car finally got on a boat last week, and I picked it up a couple of hours ago. I was frustrated with the wait, but have to say it was worth it. The car is spectactular. Amazing drive, and even more amazing technology. I got a warning about the tire system, but it went away when I turned the car off and on again, so I hope it is not a big deal.

*Tesla grin* My son will have the biggest grin when he sees it later this afternoon.

Same thing happened to me...same warning. It too disappeared. I called service and they said was a software glitch. They did a remote diagnostic on Momi and gave her a clean bill of health. No problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.