Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight Adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my recent drive of a (rented) Model Y at night I had two oncoming cars flash their high beams at me even though I did not have the high beams on. I have read that others have noticed this as well. Just curious if this is a common problem with the Model Y. I see that they can be adjusted.

it's a common problem with any car with good modern headlights in my experience. When I had a Subaru BRZ, which is as low as they come I'd still have a big truck flash their lights at me. Why, HID headlights. They aren't actually blinding the other driver because they are pointed so low but because they look brighter than their old school headlights they assume your on bright on flash you. Same with my WRX with LED HID headlights. Now that I'm in a car with traditional headlights again it never happens. Can't wait to have proper modern headlights again with my Y with it finally gets delivered. Just wish they would put the European style headlights in already.

Happens to me all the time..

There is a way to adjust the headlights from the menu

“Control” -> “Service” -> “Adjust headlight”

but there’s no factory reset and it gives a warning that it should only be done by a trained technician.. so I haven’t tried it yet!

(Although admittedly - I don’t think you could screw anything up too bad :)

Happens to me all the time..

There is a way to adjust the headlights from the menu

“Control” -> “Service” -> “Adjust headlight”

but there’s no factory reset and it gives a warning that it should only be done by a trained technician.. so I haven’t tried it yet!

(Although admittedly - I don’t think you could screw anything up too bad :)
I was scared at first too but finally did myself. Parked against a wall or fence so you can see the upper boundaries. Next test on road with high beams to ensure it didn't light to the sky :)
Factory settings was too low imo

Why would you adjust them differently from each other?

Less glare for oncoming drivers - it's the correct way to align them. HID projectors will have this height step built in to the low beam, but with LEDs, you need to adjust the height that way. They should have come from the factory that way as well.