Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heart broken situation: bought a Prius Prime instead of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......

I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......
Can you return the Toyota?

Man that sucks. Tesla poor customer service strikes again. Frankly, I would just move on and enjoy the Prius. Maybe next time you are ready to buy Tesla will have their act together.

Pretty sure he would take an instant depreciation hit driving it off the lot. Probably not worth it.
Haha, actually I was thinking about this solution in past one hour, but I am afraid that, I still have a chance that cannot get the Tesla tomorrow. So I decided to move on. Time is limited, I should spend more time on meaningful things. In the future I still have the interest to buy a Tesla, just wish not this kind of stressful feeling anymore

I had a feeling Tesla would try to come through with a car if they could but now sorry I didn’t lend my voice to waiting it out. Probably would have picked up at the factory.

I will say this and not sure but I thought there was a short window where people could return a car, like maybe 3 days, being its such a large purchase. Maybe someone knows this or you could call one of the dealerships and ask what their buying and return policy is. Maybe you would just have to pay for some mileage and/or a fee. Did you look at your contract they had you sign? I’d definitely move on this tonight before things get registered in your name. Wouldn’t hurt to call them and say you had a change of heart and don’t think this would be the car for you and you were feeling some pressure to buy.

I feel badly for you and honestly with such a large purchase that you would have for a number of years I hate to see you stuck with something you really didn’t want. If you are resigned to living with it, I hope you end up liking it. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Why would you punch yourself in the face like that? Was so glad to trade my Prius in. Sorry it disnt work out for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic and Sherlo
I had a feeling Tesla would try to come through with a car if they could but now sorry I didn’t lend my voice to waiting it out. Probably would have picked up at the factory.

I will say this and not sure but I thought there was a short window where people could return a car, like maybe 3 days, being its such a large purchase. Maybe someone knows this or you could call one of the dealerships and ask what their buying and return policy is. Maybe you would just have yo pay for some mileage and/or a fee. Did you look at your contract they had you sign? I’d definitely move on this tonight before things get registered in your name. Wouldn’t hurt to call them and say you had a change of heart and don’t think this would be the car for you and you were feeling sone pressure to buy.

I feel badly for you and honestly with such a large purchase that you would have for a number of years I hate to see you stuck with something you really didn’t want. If you are resigned to living with it, I hope you end up liking it. Best of luck.

Seem to recall there is a form- “no cooling off” that most dealers have you sign

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought? | Edmunds

• Helpful
Reactions: tezzla
Thanks a lot of people gave me good advice about how to return/trade in my 4 hour old Prius. This forum is warm. I am kind of tired with the hoping and upsetting status brought by the purchase of Tesla. I already spent one day depressing and one day doing research which car can be the possible substitute for my HOV demand. For now I am cool down and returning to the right track of my life. I may buy a large one when I upgrading my SUV in two years, and hopefully next time the purchase is delightful rather than stressful. Hope all people who are waiting in this forum can get the car before tomorrow midnight. Happy new year!

Sorry, you now have to drive a "Prius Prime" I hope it is just a commuter car for you, but I told you in your previous thread you would probably get a Model 3 by just showing up at the factory on 12/31. I even documented my experience at the end of 2018 Q3.