Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heart broken situation: bought a Prius Prime instead of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be far more depressed about going with a Prius than waiting longer for a Tesla. Yikes. That is a HUGE difference. I don't care if the Prius was free, there's no way I'm every owning one of them.
I have to agree. The latest iteration is especially awful looking but I can’t say I really fault the OP for giving up on Tesla Sales as their process is so drastically different from anything out there and I don’t mean that in a positive way. Kinda surprised they didn’t try to sell you an in-store demo like they did with me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Prius prime is a great car. Enjoy it. The prius it is based on has a reliability record that Tesla can only dream of. It's cheap to insure and will be fixed after an accident and back in your driveway before the repair shop even gets a return call from Tesla for parts. I love my model S but the company is a disaster, your Prius will serve you well.

Prius prime is a great car. Enjoy it. The prius it is based on has a reliability record that Tesla can only dream of. It's cheap to insure and will be fixed after an accident and back in your driveway before the repair shop even gets a return call from Tesla for parts. I love my model S but the company is a disaster, your Prius will serve you well.
Agree at all level, except when I have to hit the gas pedal and feel the lag

These are two entirely different cars with difference experiences so it's hard to compare the two.

It really comes down to what the OP wanted the car to be.

If they wanted an experience then a Prius Prime isn't going to give them nearly what the Tesla would. Heck even picking it up at the factory (if it worked out) would have been an experience.

Sure some of the experiences like having it canceled is terrible, but there would also be great experiences.

With the Prius Prime they're left with a car that simply does what it does. It will do the same thing tomorrow as it does today. Its what makes the car both great, and really boring.

It also simply isn't going to be the same behind the wheel experience. It's not nearly as quick, and simply doesn't drive the same way.

Plus the Prius prime isn't going to save you one minute, and then try to kill you the next moment. :p (the joke is about Autopilot if it isn't clear).

• Funny
Reactions: seattlite2004
The Prius Prime has a cool back window with a wave in it, so there’s that. My stepmom has one and it’s a very interesting and unique design feature.

Plus, in a few years, when you’re ready for a new car, the 100 kWh Model 3 should be out!

Attachments

• 8784E863-9760-4815-A5D1-AB2957E20798.jpeg
    8784E863-9760-4815-A5D1-AB2957E20798.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 73
If you’re happy in a Prius Prime then there is little point in spending more for a Model 3. I rode in them before and they’re great cars in their own right. Admittedly more comfortable which comes with a car designed for comfort and efficiency over performance.

Why anyone sells their car before having their next one in the drive way is beyond me

Expand your mind, Evergreen. Imagine a situation where your current car is a ticking time bomb, and either you sell it now or possibly face a huge repair bill if you hold on to it much longer. You just learned that you need to get rid of the car, so you go car shopping online, and think ok, I'll get a Tesla.

You are better off to take the money off the table by selling the car now, and hope Tesla meets the expectations that THEY set for you (before you realize that they are not good at setting and meeting expectations).

That's one reason why.

Prius Prime has like a 600+ miles range... can't get that with any Tesla! My brother got one last year too. Enjoy your Prius Prime OP.

Do you drive 600 miles without stopping? Maybe it is being older, but after 3-4 hours on the highway I need take a break. I need to use the bathroom (often urgently!!) and get something to eat. And since Tesla often co-locates Superchargers with places with food (and bathrooms), by the time I take care of my needs, the car is filled up.

Last edited:
I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......

The good news is that by the time you buy your next vehicle, there should be lots of good choices from companies who don't mess their customers around. Maybe even by that time Tesla will one of them. If not CCS charging networks should have much better coverage.

There are much worse choices than a Prius Prime. What kind of deal did you get on the Prime?

Reactions: jboy210
Prius Prime has like a 600+ miles range... can't get that with any Tesla! My brother got one last year too. Enjoy your Prius Prime OP.
Yep...range is phenomenal and provides a choice to stop, and where to stop, for a quick break or just keep going. Heck...you can just get into the Prime with zero planning and just start your journey... stop when and where you want...more freedom. The Prime also has Carplay (no Android Auto... WTF), a HUD and heated steering wheel... Nice. You'll miss the addictive instant torque of an EV... Hopefully some of the Prime's features will make up.

Last edited:
Do you drive 600 miles without stopping? Maybe it is being older, but after 3-4 hours on the highway I need take a break. I need to use the bathroom (often urgently!!) and get something to eat. And since Tesla often co-locates Superchargers with places with food (and bathrooms), by the time I take care of my needs, the car is filled up.

My brother has a 150 miles commute daily. Having the 600+ miles range means he only has to go to the gas station once a week instead of every 2 days. On the weekend, EV only range is enough to get around. I have 2 Tesla's and haven't been to the gas station in over a year. I have a 135 miles daily commute too. I have solar and charge at home. Before I got the Tesla, I have to visit the gas station 3 times a week about 150 times a year. So yeah Tesla is better but Prius Prime would have been my choice for a plug in hybrid.

Had a Prius for commute purposes with over 25,000 miles a year. I can’t say enough about the quality and the reliability, as the car drives/feels the same way the last day as the first. It is not as fun to drive as a Tesla, but it is super cheap to insure and repair as well. 600+ mile range and $30 to fill a full tank of gas - you can save lots of money for future purchase.

Enjoy the new car OP. I know the next Tesla won’t be your last Tesla. Happy New Year!

Reactions: Need
I am one of the people who got the cancelation call from Tesla recently. I was planning to get the car by the end of this year as they indicated online and sold my old car. So when I knew that I could not get the car at the EoY and even not in early January (SA told me), I was very upset. After struggling and I decided to face the reality that I cannot get the Tesla anyway in the near future (I mean, in a month) so I bought a Prius prime today, at 3:00pm, paid in full. At 5:00pm, I got message from Tesla which stated: I can pick up my car tomorrow......
Wow sorry to hear that. I hope Tesla improves this soon.

From a purely cosmetic POV I really dislike (actually have stronger reaction) to the rear trunk light area on this 2020 vehicle. Looks like big, massive red lips. A neighbor whose house we drive past all the time has one parked on the street and the rear of the car is something first seen. In general I dislike the design decisions Toyota made on their cars, in particular their front bumper grill area. But to each his own. Also wouldn’t want a hybrid from the point of still having all the ICE car repairs and maintenance to do and gas costs. Really don’t go far on the battery which to me would be the whole point of going EV at all. You’re still polluting with that car.

I see Toyota as a manufacturer sticking its head in the sand. After being a decades long multi-Honda owners, we switched to Toyota and owned two cars from them, Avalon and Camry. Always thought our next new car would have been from them but was so turned off by the design and opposition against BEVs. Just couldn’t buy another. At the end of ownership had a horrible experience with their local dealership we would have been stuck working with and Toyota themselves wouldn’t step in to resolve a problem so easy decision to look elsewhere for a new car. Thankfully we looked to Tesla at that point.

Anyway I get the OP made an emotional decision at the last minute and feel bad about that, given next to a home purchase a car is typically your second largest purchase. The fact that Toyota is still running their Toyota Days cash back and other promotions into the New Year means he could have waited a few days to buy. I hope he ends up liking the Prius Prime. We liked our Avalon but hated driving our Camry and couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

These two cars are so, so different. Other than having tires, brakes, and a steering wheel almost everything else is different lol.
Bragging about 600 miles of "range" is pointless. I had a Passat TDI that got 800 miles to a tank. So what? I got rid of that thing in a heartbeat for a M3 and I'm the happiest man on the planet.
I charge inside my garage and leave with whatever level I set it to every day. I warm up my car inside the garage. 80% of Tesla owners charge at home. On top of having a far superior driving experience, I'd say that is the main reason I got the car.