Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heart vs Head (S vs 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn’t all that much of a size difference. The S is a little less than a foot longer than the 3. If you fold the mirrors, it is only 1.2 inches wider.

Will you be happy in a 3 or will you wish you had purchased the S for the next 15 years?

I got my S two months ago. I had an '04 Ford Taurus before that, which is considered a full size car (the heater had died, was leaking oil, and the cruise control had stopped as well). I was very surprised to realize that the S was actually smaller than the Taurus had been. Definitely shorter, and maybe a slight bit narrower. As for parking, it is really quite easy. I have definitely appreciate the rear view camera now that I have it.

Out of curiosity, can anyone compare the rear view between the 3 and the S? Due to the angle of the lift gate, there isn't as much of a view as I had been used to. I'd say that that was my biggest adjustment.

Also, the title made me think of this comic strip:
images

I am 5’3” and I don’t find the S to be unmanageably big. My previous (actually still currently my daily vehicle) is a Mercedes ML SUV so maybe I am just used to driving “larger” cars. The only difficulty I have is how low the S sits and I have to be extra careful pulling in spaces with curbs, or going through drive throughs. But that’s what air suspensions are for. The rear seats headrests are also in the way when looking at the rearview mirror, but I keep the rear camera running to help with blindspots.
The Model 3 is nice but the S, to me, is absolutely gorgeous. I wanted to save some money too but I know deep in my heart, S is the one. I went with my heart and have not regretted at all.

Reactions: phaduman
I went through this though process, but ultimately decided on the 3:

1/ I've never spent this much money on a car ($50K)... hard to contemplate spending another $20-$25k
2/ I've never had a car as large as the S (I've test driven, and it's noticeable to me)
3/ Depreciation will be worse from a $$ perspective even if %s are similar
4/ I thought about other things I could do with $20-$25k... get solar panels, buy some index funds, etc.

The flip side is that the S is more nicely appointed and drives better (in a straight line). I don't know what they did with the suspension on the 3, but I still find it a bit too bumpy/harsh (my benchmark here is BMW E46/E39 with sport package). The S seems to be much smoother, but again only in a straight line... I don't really care for how it goes around turns (where I can definitely feel the size).

Parking the 3 is a breeze. The S isn't bad, but I do have to concentrate more.

Last thought is that the S has to be due for another refresh soon. It's been largely the same since 2012 when it first came out (newer seats and nose not withstanding). The 3, despite it's spartan interior, feels fresh and also has better ergonomics (window switches, arm rest, etc).

Reactions: Carl_Drogo