Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump compressor short cycling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry.

Ok, now this is very interesting... Did you file a service ticket for this??
Ok cool, thank you.

Yes I did give it to the service centre a couple days later, they got the remote diagnostics team to test it and found no problems. As far as I’m aware, even though I had a booking and the car was there for hours, they didn’t physically test anything.

They said the error was not customer facing (untrue), that the compressor is turning off repeatedly because it has reached the temperature desired (inaccurate) and that there are no problems.

This makes me believe that either they are incompetent at the two different service centres I’ve given this car to, or, this is a widespread issue which is being covered up, or there really is nothing wrong.

I’ve had this car looked at by 2 independent mechanics both of them say there is 100% something wrong with this air conditioning, that it doesn’t reach a cold temperature fast enough and that there is no compressor designed to repeatedly cycle off and on .

I have seen this compressor being taken apart a few times on YouTube and seen heat damage from short cycling. The compressor is a very similar design to a HVAC Honda compressor.

Last edited:
You wrote "then customer facing saying pull over immediately with no acceleration." - I think this is what you should be hammering. How the heat-pump should behave on such an insanely complex system is so deep into the software the SC is not going to touch it if there are no alerts. BUT it may be related to the real, concrete issue which cannot be debated: complete loss of power while driving. THAT is a safety thing. I would create a ticket for the power loss issue and don't even mention the HVAC issue.

FYI. I was able to catch my heat pump short cycling. But I don’t think anything is wrong with it.

The case where it happened to me was it was a hot day of driving and I was in starting to change my cabin filter. Instructions say to run the heater for 8 minutes to dry out before opening. So it was 105F outside, car is hot and heater is on full max. A very weird situation in general and not normal use case.

The heat pump ran at 500RPM and then short cycling.

I’ve had the car for 2 years and heater and air condition work perfectly in the desert heat and cold. No complaints at the system level from me.

Reactions: Sam T
Y
You wrote "then customer facing saying pull over immediately with no acceleration." - I think this is what you should be hammering. How the heat-pump should behave on such an insanely complex system is so deep into the software the SC is not going to touch it if there are no alerts. BUT it may be related to the real, concrete issue which cannot be debated: complete loss of power while driving. THAT is a safety thing. I would create a ticket for the power loss issue and don't even mention the HVAC issue.
Yea man I thought the same, they said that because the error came from the drive unit it has nothing to do with the HVAC. And that because the error cleared itself that it’s not an issue.

Thanks for your reply, it’s been at the SC 3 or 4 times it’s a bit exhausting.