Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump(?) continues to run until a door is opened and closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
--23 MY. Parked in a 70-degree garage, has not been driven.
--I open the car door to get something, close the door, walk away, car locks.
--I return some time later, I hear noise coming from under the hood, sounds like the heat pump running.
--I open and close the door, the noise stops.
--I return later, noise stays gone.
--Until next time I open the car door, the noise may start again even after I close the door and the door locks.

My observation is that, intermittently, when I open the door to do something in the car, close the door, sometimes the noise from under the hood will continue unless I return later to open/close the door. By the simple act of opening and closing the door will stop the underhood noise.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks.

--23 MY. Parked in a 70-degree garage, has not been driven.
--I open the car door to get something, close the door, walk away, car locks.
--I return some time later, I hear noise coming from under the hood, sounds like the heat pump running.
--I open and close the door, the noise stops.
--I return later, noise stays gone.
--Until next time I open the car door, the noise may start again even after I close the door and the door locks.

My observation is that, intermittently, when I open the door to do something in the car, close the door, sometimes the noise from under the hood will continue unless I return later to open/close the door. By the simple act of opening and closing the door will stop the underhood noise.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks.
In case you need a reference, it is here in the manual under Climate Control Operating Tips:
  • You may hear the sound of the climate system inside the cabin of Model Y when Parked. It makes a low fan noise. The climate system attempts to dry itself out to minimize additional moisture or musty odors. This is a normal operation and not a cause for concern.

There is actually a delay before this happens. I believe this was a design inherited from other cars. The delay is intended to have it happen while the driver has presumably gone inside the building and thus they won't hear the noise. If you return to the car later, sometimes you may catch it while it's doing this.

After the AC was used, during a drive, the car will continue to run the fan for a while to dry the evaporator and prevent bad odors. Opening/closing the door stops that but it would probably be preferrable to let it run.

In case you need a reference, it is here in the manual under Climate Control Operating Tips:
  • You may hear the sound of the climate system inside the cabin of Model Y when Parked. It makes a low fan noise. The climate system attempts to dry itself out to minimize additional moisture or musty odors. This is a normal operation and not a cause for concern.

There is actually a delay before this happens. I believe this was a design inherited from other cars. The delay is intended to have it happen while the driver has presumably gone inside the building and thus they won't hear the noise. If you return to the car later, sometimes you may catch it while it's doing this.

Thank you both for your replies. In my case, the car could be sitting overnight or longer. When I open the door, I may be in the car for a couple minutes, then close the door and walk away. When I return, the fan is running--I haven't driven the car and the AC was on only for a couple minutes.

The other puzzling behavior is why it would immediately stop when I re-open and close the door, if the car legitimately is running a cycle to dry the evaporator?

Thank you both for your replies. In my case, the car could be sitting overnight or longer. When I open the door, I may be in the car for a couple minutes, then close the door and walk away. When I return, the fan is running--I haven't driven the car and the AC was on only for a couple minutes.

The other puzzling behavior is why it would immediately stop when I re-open and close the door, if the car legitimately is running a cycle to dry the evaporator?
It's running the equivalent to "fan only" when it does the evaporator drying. When you open your door, the screen boots up and whatever setting you had in your profile will take over and override whatever it was doing (note if you have Easy Entry set, sometimes it has a different setting than you last left it).

The other possibility, especially if it happens a long time after parking (more than 30 minute or an hour) is your car is waking up to charge the 12V or 16V battery. In that case, given the HV battery is connected while it is doing so, the BMS will heat or cool the HV battery as necessary (AFAIK, it does not do this when the car is asleep and HV disconnected). This noise is mentioned in a different section of the manual about noises, including with a sound sample:
A/C Compressor Roaring
Outside the vehicle: When your vehicle is Parked, especially outside on a hot or cold day, you may hear a humming or slight ticking sound from the front of the vehicle near the front trunk. This may happen even when your vehicle is not charging. You may also hear this sound when Model Y is parked after a long drive. This is the sound of your vehicle preparing the battery to maintain its optimal temperature. This is caused by extra demand on the climate system to meet all your vehicle's cooling needs. The sound may gradually decrease in frequency and/or volume as the optimal temperature is reached.
Inside the vehicle: You may hear this sound coming from the cabin of Model Y, but this is normal and occurs for the same reasons as above.

You should also check if you have cabin overheat protection on, although that is active only for 12 hours:

Last edited:
Reactions: snovvman