Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat Pump Sound Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to get some feed back here. My Model Y Stealth P is pretty loud from the interior cabin compared to my wife's Model Y AWD. Had a Model 3 before and it sounds like my wife's, just silent. Anyone else have one that sounds like this? While in the videos, the sound does change when you turn off the AC, but if I drive for a while the sound persists regardless of AC being on/off. I'm guessing due to it cooling the battery.

Model Y Stealth P
IMG_1527 (1).MOV
IMG_1499.MOV

Model Y AWD
IMG_1483.MOV

Reactions: zero5romeo
Heat pumps do cycle a little bit after turning off to reset for the next turn on event. The sound you have is not normal. something is making direct contact with car and not on its rubber mount.

Well Tesla just said they don't hear any difference between the two based on the videos and that interior noise may vary from car to car. Still bringing it in Friday. Does anyone else have a Y that sounds like this?

@ergela What was the conclusion from the service appointment on that noise?

I have the same issue on my stealth Y. I just took delivery yesterday.

I hope there is not something destructive (ie cavitation) happening inside the system.

Any updates would be great. I would like to share whatever info I can w/ service.

@ergela What was the conclusion from the service appointment on that noise?

I have the same issue on my stealth Y. I just took delivery yesterday.

I hope there is not something destructive (ie cavitation) happening inside the system.

Any updates would be great. I would like to share whatever info I can w/ service.

So i took it in and they said that it was something that would be taken care of in a software update. I immediately argued that since my wife's Y sounds nothing like this and sounded just like my Model 3 did, silent. They told me there is nothing they can do and I just have to wait for the update.

I waited a few days and put in another service ticket this past Monday. I took off the cover for my frunk and noticed the sound was coming from the Octovalve area instead of my Heat Pump. I sent them a few more videos and they said engineering looked at them and said they needed to replace my "Coolant Pump". Parts arrive on the 28th so it's going back to service then. I asked for a part number that they ordered, and they ordered a "Service Kit, Coolant Pump" which i'm assuming means they aren't going to replace it, just try to fix the existing pump. We will see..... here are the videos I used. Also took an extra one showing mine vs my wife's in one shot so they can't say there the sound is "within spec".

Hope these videos help you.

Part Ordered
Service Kit, Coolant Pump
Part #:1133851-00-G
Order Qty:2

My Model Y, Octovalve vs Heat Pump
Octovalve: Octovalve.MOV
Heat Pump: HeatPump.MOV

Here is a video comparing My Y to my Wifes Y
IMG_1703.MOV

fyi here is what the invoice said was done to fix it. Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

"Removed upper pump and replaced it along with 2 O rings (Inner/outer). Performed vacuum fill then performed coolant air plurge. Noise is no longer present. Verified no leaks are present.

Parts: 1133851-00-K and 1029320-00"

Outstanding! Thanks for posting this; it will almost certainly help some other folks out.

Maybe post a copy of the invoice/work order? It might help someone out with a similar issue.