Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump sounds AFTER holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MY performance. Last month I went with a friend to pick up his 2022 model Y. While sitting on his car showing him features - I noticed the heat pump made a noise my car doesn't make. It was like a Darth Vader exhale if you will. It did it every few minutes - say 2 minutes. I thought, perhaps it was related to heat pump hardware mods.

However

After the holiday update - I was sitting in my 2020 MY and it started to make the same exact sounds. Clearly they did something software wise to generate these sounds. Im hoping they are regularly 'purging' the system to avoid the 'stink' - wishful thinking and I have no information that suggests that.

In any case - interested if you guys have notice this new sound after the update - and - what we believe it signifies.

thx

My 2020 Y has made that since new. I think it's maybe either a refrigerant reversing valve or some type of valve for that system. My home heat pump sounds very similar when it reverses flow to go into defrost mode.

Have heard the same sound occasionally in my 2020 LRY. It seemingly has been after I adjust to go a few degrees cooler, e.g. heating to 71 and the adjusting back to 68.

Upvote for the Darth Vader exhale comparison - captures the sound characteristic well.

I notice a similar noise in my 2022 Model Y when I'm sitting in it in the garage (to get away from my kids in the evening when i have work deadlines, I literally sit with my laptop in the passenger seat of my car - the heated seats and the stereo are great) it's about every couple of minutes, somewhere between a Darth Vader exhale and a valve venting. It's rather disconcerting. Any further notion of what's causing the sound?