Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday update killed my AP3 triplecam. New triplecam part is visually different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla had to replace my windshield cameras and the windshield harness after the holiday update.

I noticed on the new triplecam, both the left and right cameras have plastic pieces extending from the sides - probably to change how the light hits them?

Has this already been discussed? Haven’t seen it here or Reddit. Wonder what the exact functionality is?

IMG_1673.jpeg

Tesla had to replace my windshield cameras and the windshield harness after the holiday update.

I noticed on the new triplecam, both the left and right cameras have plastic pieces extending from the sides - probably to change how the light hits them?

Has this already been discussed? Haven’t seen it here or Reddit. Wonder what the exact functionality is?

View attachment 1006833
Yes, different focal lengths. One is the wide lens, probably the middle one, the right camera, driver's right, must be the "normal" lens, and the left camera, driver's left, must be the "telephoto" lens. Like cameras, they can have lens hoods to prevent extraneous light from affecting their exposure levels.

You can go into the service menu and look at the view from each of the 3 lenses, to see the difference in focal length.