Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Heated door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed their door handles being warm since the latest software update?
It's about 40 degrees out, and I left our car plugged in with the heater on to keep the cabin warm.
When I came out about an hour later I noticed the door handle was warm. I thought it might have been from setting in the sun, but I touched the door panel and it was definitely cool. Is is possible the heater is blowing enough warm air at the handle from the inside to warm it up?

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
Has anyone noticed their door handles being warm since the latest software update?
It's about 40 degrees out, and I left our car plugged in with the heater on to keep the cabin warm.
When I came out about an hour later I noticed the door handle was warm. I thought it might have been from setting in the sun, but I touched the door panel and it was definitely cool. Is is possible the heater is blowing enough warm air at the handle from the inside to warm it up?
How would it blow air from the inside onto the handle?

I’ll ha

I’ll have to check this out

Reactions: Jaywlker
40 and leaving the heat on for an hour to keep cabin warm? Cabin will heat 40-70 in five minutes with app. What was the heat set at? Sounds like simple transfer as OP mentioned. 40 is short sleeve golf weather around here this time of year ;)
Temp was set at 73 degrees. The car was plugged in, so leaving the heater on wasn’t a problem. I’ve never noticed it before, but I’ve also never left it with the heat on for an hour.

Much of the body is made out of aluminum which is one of the best conductors of both electricity and heat. There may be some mechanism where the heat is getting transmitted through some body structure to the handles. It doesn't happen with the Model S.

IMHO.....

There is no way for air to distinctly travel: 1. Through the plastic Interior of the door. 2. Through the insulation behind the interior. 3. Then through the interior metal frame of the door. 4. Then through the cup that holds the door handle

It would be almost impossible for the interior vent air to focus on just the door handle.