Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My early 2021 MY does not have a heated steering wheel. Over the summer, I inquired with a service advisor at the Syosset NY service center whether Tesla will have a retrofit available and he said they are definitely working on it, but did not know when it will be available or whether or not it would be a complimentary upgrade or what the cost would be. I have not seen any recent news or discussions on this topic.

My early 2021 MY does not have a heated steering wheel. Over the summer, I inquired with a service advisor at the Syosset NY service center whether Tesla will have a retrofit available and he said they are definitely working on it, but did not know when it will be available or whether or not it would be a complimentary upgrade or what the cost would be. I have not seen any recent news or discussions on this topic.
I messaged them in September. They said the complete opposite, that it’s not available and they have no current plans for it.

I think I saw on one of the YouTube channels (DAErik or Bearded Tesla Guy) that they opened it up and found that it might have had the element but not the wiring harness. I don't think BTG is here but maybe @MorrisonHiker could comment...?
We ordered the heated steering wheel when it was added to the Y and when we went to install it, we found they had given us the non-heated steering wheel so we returned it. We tried ordering a heated one again but they told us the older wiring harness wouldn't support it so we gave up.

Reactions: DanDi58
We ordered the heated steering wheel when it was added to the Y and when we went to install it, we found they had given us the non-heated steering wheel so we returned it. We tried ordering a heated one again but they told us the older wiring harness wouldn't support it so we gave up.
Ok, and now I remember that the BTG took the steering wheel off his new SR+ and put it on his 2021 MY (which had a heated wheel) and it didn't work, and vice versa. Even though they appeared to be the same part no. Then he swapped out the module in the wheel (which had different p/n's), and it worked. So - it does appear to be a hardware swap that is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I messaged them in September. They said the complete opposite, that it’s not available and they have no current plans for it.
I had a similar experience with the Decatur-Atlanta SC. I emailed them twice this year and got a similar response and therefore gave up on a retrofit. I sold my 2021 and will take delivery of a 2022 next week so the lack of a heated steering wheel is now solved.

I had a similar experience with the Decatur-Atlanta SC. I emailed them twice this year and got a similar response and therefore gave up on a retrofit. I sold my 2021 and will take delivery of a 2022 next week so the lack of a heated steering wheel is now solved.
How much did you get for it? Im thinking of selling and buying 2022 just for the wheel 😂