Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy/Obese drivers - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 6' 1" and 350lbs and was also concerned but really I'm very comfortable in my model 3. The recliner like other have mentioned seems under powered I lean up a bit when adjusting it. Also the seat quickly developed a little rock back and forth which through service center said was "within tolerances" and won't do anything about. But other than that it's fine and the rocking is not usually noticable. I wouldn't worry about it my fellow fat friend . Enjoy the model 3, it's a great car!

But it's not as simple as it CAN'T. Because it'll lift me. Just sometimes when it's traveling really far it won't finish. Unclear why.
So I took mine in to get the door panes removed again (broken clips the fist time) something is rolling around in them again :( I also mentioned the seat issue and since I can't drive yet, the wife was able to demonstrate the problem. In fact at one position it seems to always stop at around 65 degrees or so. The passenger side sounds a little strained but had no issues with me in it and did not stop.

Anyways my quick service visit for stuff rolling in my doors now turned into a seat investigation and I have a loaner S again. This time a 75D but no autopilot which would have been nice in my condition. They told me if it's a problem with the seats the wait for new ones in around a month :(

Anyways it sounds like it's more of yet another issue with my car vs model 3's in general. I also found the passenger seat more comfortable, I don't feel like I am sitting on a bar.

• Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire
This time a 75D but no autopilot which would have been nice in my condition.
My loaner last month, the only one I've ever had from Tesla, was a #1200 range P85. No 'D'. :) Obviously no EAP, no TACC. Depending on the pavement in question it would wheel hop at times when I launched! The hop would be on one wheel, transition to the other, and then back again before stopping. Even when it wouldn't hop it'd squirm and lurch under heavy throttle, I'd have to wrestle it to keep it pointed the direction I wanted. Damn that thing was raw. So different than how composed the Model 3 stays.

It was such a weird contrast with the air suspension it had, which definitely gave it a something of a "floating Cadillac" feel on the highway. I kinda go used to it over the 2 days I had it, even appreciating it in certain ways. Still really happy to get my Model 3 back. If only not to be staring at The Wall of a dash.

P.S. It was also one of those with the "screw T/C, you don't need that sugar" toggle. LOL Which I totally didn't turn on and to light up for a smoke show, just to see if it would. That would have been wrong.

Last edited:
My loaner last month, the only one I've ever had from Tesla, was a #1200 range P85. No 'D'. :) Obviously no EAP, no TACC. Depending on the pavement in question it would wheel hop at times when I launched! The hop would be on one wheel, transition to the other, and then back again before stopping. Even when it wouldn't hop it'd squirm and lurch under heavy throttle, I'd have to wrestle it to keep it pointed the direction I wanted. Damn that thing was raw. So different than how composed the Model 3 stays.

It was such a weird contrast with the air suspension it had, which definitely gave it a something of a "floating Cadillac" feel on the highway. I kinda go used to it over the 2 days I had it, even appreciating it in certain ways. Still really happy to get my Model 3 back. If only not to be staring at The Wall of a dash.

P.S. It was also one of those with the "screw T/C, you don't need that sugar" toggle. LOL Which I totally didn't turn on and to light up for a smoke show, just to see if it would. That would have been wrong.
My wife has been diving me around in it and she likes it. Too bad she didn't listen to me and got the ice suv last month... I might get to dive it Monday if I'm up for it. My first loaner that I had for about 5 weeks was an S85 2014 no P or D. But I did get some experience with AP1 in it. It had the old seats and no center console.

This 75D is very quit and a much smoother dive than my model 3. The 3 is very ruff on the road and had a ton of creeks in the door panels and hatch that I guess it's just part of the 3 experience. Feels much more like a my guess focus or other budget car. The S also has allot less wind noise on the freeway. It's a base model but the interior is still nicer than the 3. It has a black textile headliner, and the 1/2 cloth seats. The cloth seats feel really well built but a bit stiffer than the white seats in my friends S. Way stiffer than the seats in the 3. I think I still like them better than the 3s marshmallo and bar under my ass seats.

Everything from the paint to noise level to lack of rattles, looks, and over all quality are much better on this S than my 3. Both my 3 and this loaner have just over 4k miles on them and I'm starting to think I made a mistake getting the 3. I just don't think my 3 will last 5 years let alone 10. Seems to go in for service every off Friday I get.

I am 5'7' and was 303 when I got my 3, down a bit now. Had it since September and have a 45 minute commute to work each way. Seats are comfortable and comparable to my previous car, with the side bolsters on the 3 are actually a little wider (came for a 2017 A4 with the sport seatss and package myself).

The seats move with no issues whatsover on my car and since my wife is much more petite and only 5'1" there is a lot to adjust and just use the profiles.

Would agree with the only issue being the steering wheel at it's highest is still snug to the seat but o my when getting in, not once in or getting out and I think that's just because it's lower than my A4 was. May be less of an issue with your height anyways as your seat will likely be further back than mine.

Also have 2 carseats in the back too for what it's worth and.no issues with kids or adults having room in back, also seems more than A4 was.

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
I am 5'7' and was 303 when I got my 3, down a bit now. Had it since September and have a 45 minute commute to work each way. Seats are comfortable and comparable to my previous car, with the side bolsters on the 3 are actually a little wider (came for a 2017 A4 with the sport seatss and package myself).

The seats move with no issues whatsover on my car and since my wife is much more petite and only 5'1" there is a lot to adjust and just use the profiles.

Would agree with the only issue being the steering wheel at it's highest is still snug to the seat but o my when getting in, not once in or getting out and I think that's just because it's lower than my A4 was. May be less of an issue with your height anyways as your seat will likely be further back than mine.

Also have 2 carseats in the back too for what it's worth and.no issues with kids or adults having room in back, also seems more than A4 was.
Just make sure the steering wheel center is pointed at your chest and not your face while driving.

If you go with the model three you will likely drop 20 or 30 lbs as you miss all those gas station snacks.

Joking aside 6'1" 240-250 - weight in the lower half of my body (ex power lifter, running back).

No issue with seat confront. Last car was an A6.

5'7 300# I rented a 3 and an S for a 24hrs each via Turo just to test how i would feel and fit in the car. I was shocked to find that the 3 was more comfortable for me. Getting into the S (air suspension set to high) had to duck my head a little bit to get in and that was a little uncomfortable. Didn't have to do that with the 3, i'm guessing because the 3 might have more head room? I ended up going with a 3, and have no real issues. I do find it a little harder to get into and out of than other sedans, but mainly because it's lower. Then again, i'm coming from a big SUV that I basically would jump into. Seat is comfortable, steering wheel could move up more, but at it's max height it isn't a problem for me. I'm the only driver so i just have the seat set up how I like it and don't have easy entry turned on, however when i try to move the seat when i'm in it, I do feel like the motors are under powered, but then 300# is probably the outlier and I'm sure i'm pushing the limits. To someone else's point, I was heavier when I first took delivery, and not to be captain obvious, but the more I shrink, the easier it is to get in and out of and it gets even more comfortable inside :)

5'7 300# I rented a 3 and an S for a 24hrs each via Turo just to test how i would feel and fit in the car. I was shocked to find that the 3 was more comfortable for me. Getting into the S (air suspension set to high) had to duck my head a little bit to get in and that was a little uncomfortable. Didn't have to do that with the 3, i'm guessing because the 3 might have more head room? I ended up going with a 3, and have no real issues. I do find it a little harder to get into and out of than other sedans, but mainly because it's lower. Then again, i'm coming from a big SUV that I basically would jump into. Seat is comfortable, steering wheel could move up more, but at it's max height it isn't a problem for me. I'm the only driver so i just have the seat set up how I like it and don't have easy entry turned on, however when i try to move the seat when i'm in it, I do feel like the motors are under powered, but then 300# is probably the outlier and I'm sure i'm pushing the limits. To someone else's point, I was heavier when I first took delivery, and not to be captain obvious, but the more I shrink, the easier it is to get in and out of and it gets even more comfortable inside :)
I have a hard time getting into my loaner S. There is defiantly some ducking involved and it feels like the roof support blocks allot of my vision even with the seat down all the way. I have to lay back a bit to see out the windshield.

Interesting to me how many of us 'bigger dudes' came from an A6 ;) (myself included, if it wasn't obvious).

I'm 6'4, 280lbs... and I ended up giving my 3 to my nephew and got an X. I have a lot of height from the waist up, so both the 3 and the S had just too much visual obstruction at the top of the windscreen. Once I sat in the X... the decision was made!!

If I hadn't had so much upper body height... I think I may have kept my 3. The width of the seat is right at my tolerance level. I still drive it once and again... and it truly IS a fantastic car! But my X! OH, my X! :):):)

Howdy Folks Im tall and obese so says the bmi, 6'8 400 52-54 inch waist will i fit in car? i drive an 05 infinity fx35 no problem bellywise and the headroom specs are more on the telsa than on the infinity so length wise i should fit anyone else this size or or same waist size How did it fit you.

Interesting to me how many of us 'bigger dudes' came from an A6 ;) (myself included, if it wasn't obvious).

I'm 6'4, 280lbs... and I ended up giving my 3 to my nephew and got an X. I have a lot of height from the waist up, so both the 3 and the S had just too much visual obstruction at the top of the windscreen. Once I sat in the X... the decision was made!!

If I hadn't had so much upper body height... I think I may have kept my 3. The width of the seat is right at my tolerance level. I still drive it once and again... and it truly IS a fantastic car! But my X! OH, my X! :):):)
I have this issue at only 6 foot in the S with the seats upright, however I just drive in a reclined position and it's fine. I would assume the same would be true in the 3? Just put the steering wheel in the position closest as it can get to you, then have it tilt up and the seat slide forward to help you get out.

I'm 6' and 320 (winter weight). When I first got my 3, the seats would dig into my legs a lot, and after an hour of driving it would be hard to walk for 10 steps or so after getting out of the car. But over time my weight beat the seat into submission, so it's not an issue anymore.

I used to use the Easy Entry, but I also noticed that if I was laying against the seat back, maybe it wouldn't come up completely, I'd have to readjust the setting now and then. I recently stopped using Easy Entry, so now the seat does not move when I get in or out. This has not been a problem.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I'm 6' and 320 (winter weight). When I first got my 3, the seats would dig into my legs a lot, and after an hour of driving it would be hard to walk for 10 steps or so after getting out of the car. But over time my weight beat the seat into submission, so it's not an issue anymore.

I used to use the Easy Entry, but I also noticed that if I was laying against the seat back, maybe it wouldn't come up completely, I'd have to readjust the setting now and then. I recently stopped using Easy Entry, so now the seat does not move when I get in or out. This has not been a problem.
I noticed this on my car too, they were supposed to replace the seat motor. My passenger side does not do this under the same weight. Does yours? I realize there is no profile for passenger side, but you can replicate by holding the seat back button.

The service center never did call me back on replacing my seat motor, but the issue seems to have gone away on it's own as well (not sure why). Could it be Software update? Maybe the motors wore in?

I was worried about this too, I'm around 5'9" and 350 lbs. I can squeeze into my current Jeep Renegade just fine. Planning to test drive a M3 in a couple weeks, and if I feel too cramped I may hold off and wait for the MY.. hoping the 3 will work for me though, I'd like to take advantage of the tax credit. I think I'm more worried about feeling like I'm sitting in the street, after driving SUVs for the last 20+ years. Bigger issue for me is always more leg/knee room, wish we could have the area under the dashboard wide open like old fashioned bench seat cars did back in the day. Not like there's a gear shift or parking break needed between the front seats, seems like a waste of space to me.

I was worried about this too, I'm around 5'9" and 350 lbs. I can squeeze into my current Jeep Renegade just fine. Planning to test drive a M3 in a couple weeks, and if I feel too cramped I may hold off and wait for the MY.. hoping the 3 will work for me though, I'd like to take advantage of the tax credit. I think I'm more worried about feeling like I'm sitting in the street, after driving SUVs for the last 20+ years. Bigger issue for me is always more leg/knee room, wish we could have the area under the dashboard wide open like old fashioned bench seat cars did back in the day. Not like there's a gear shift or parking break needed between the front seats, seems like a waste of space to me.
3 don't think you will have an issue there. The steering wheel is pretty adjustable.