Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello! New & advice needed ☺️

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collecting a narrowboat (i can't work from home as my truck won't fit in the lounge)

@S4ra Model 3 servicing costs are virtually non-existant other than changing the brake fluid when needed which could be 4 years or more, also the cabin filter when needed. The battery coolant has been changed to 'life of car' although i will get mine done in 6 years or so as i intend to keep the car until it dies.
Fair play! I will be eagerly awaiting the delivery of my M3P

That’s one thing I’m definitely going to be asking about, we have a charger in our works car park which is giving me hope

I get mileage paid through work so I’m not sure how that would work with having an electric car.

If you buy/lease car yourself then you are still entitles to the full mileage allowance, however, if you go through salary sacrifice route the car technically becomes a company car and therefore you will not be allowed mileage allowance. If you charge at home then you will/can be paid for fuel allowance (different to mileage allowance) which is 4p per mile I believe.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
If you buy/lease car yourself then you are still entitles to the full mileage allowance, however, if you go through salary sacrifice route the car technically becomes a company car and therefore you will not be allowed mileage allowance. If you charge at home then you will/can be paid for fuel allowance (different to mileage allowance) which is 4p per mile I believe.
I believe that the company sets the rate per mile and the government advice is 4p a mile whether you own/lease the car.

My company use the government rate of 4p and I lease the car.

Best thing to do is speak with your company regards what they would pay.

If it's the same as the petrol/diesel cars you are quids in :)

I believe that the company sets the rate per mile and the government advice is 4p a mile whether you own/lease the car.

4p is the rate they should be applying if they provide the car - it is the equivalent of paying fuel for a car they provide and is in the same scheme as would pay out 12-20p for an ICE depending on engine size.
As far as I could work out the guidance for a car you provide yourself is the 45p @Radders gets irrespective of the fuel used. Here is a link to the .gov site that covers it: Travel - mileage and fuel rates and allowances

BTW - if your company will only pay you 4p per mile (which they are entitled to) and you are providing the car yourself then you can claim tax relief on the difference (£0.41 pm) - obviously only if you are doing the miles that make it worth the 'paperwork', but I would have a word with your company first and point out that the 'recommended' rate they are applying is only for when they provide the car themselves...

4p is the rate they should be applying if they provide the car - it is the equivalent of paying fuel for a car they provide and is in the same scheme as would pay out 12-20p for an ICE depending on engine size.
As far as I could work out the guidance for a car you provide yourself is the 45p @Radders gets irrespective of the fuel used. Here is a link to the .gov site that covers it: Travel - mileage and fuel rates and allowances
Apologies 4p for company car or if the company give you the car allowance. :)

I get car allowance

I probably do 10k a year...
Welcome to the wonderful world (or should that be Mad, Mad World!) of Tesla ;)

I can’t advise on your leasing question, as mine was bought, but the one piece of advice I will offer is on your mileage.

Prior to getting an EV my mileage was a steady 12k a year. When I got the M3 I upped the insurance mileage to 15k, to give me a bit of a buffer. In the first six months of owning the M3 I did 10k miles!

Because the car is such fun to drive, and driving costs almost nothing in “fuel”, you will do more miles than you expect. So be sure to factor in the cost of extra miles on your lease.

Reactions: davidmc
+1

As the mileage rate is to cover the cost of running the car as a whole including fuel, servicing depreciation etc.

Obviously 4p per mile would not cover all of the above...

But as others have said check with employer, but I see no reason why they should reduce your mileage rate if you are providing the car.