Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Center screen stuck off and A/C keeps running; can't reboot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I had the loaner for 3 days prior to this happening. The most frustrating thing is actually reaching a human being at Tesla Service. It used to be easy but now I can't reach a real person. I guess I got spoiled by the concierge level service I was getting for the past 3-4 years.

Quite honestly, an experience like this has made me uncertain if my next car will be a Tesla. Hopefully they can win the lawsuit against the Michigan dealerships and legally open up service centers in this state...or they improve their communications with the customer.
What about letting it get down to 0 battery

Must be very different at different locations.

I dropped my car off yesterday for 2year service items and a few warranty repairs. Told me done on Friday and gave me a loaner (early S75D).

The loaner was clearly dated trade in (or buyback). Had CA carpool stickers and a squeaky seat where it rubbed on the center console.

While standing at service desk, he started a text chat with me and kept me updated on the progress yesterday.

I was just notified by the app my car is done. About 5 min later I received a text with details of the service and letting me know one of warranty items needed parts ordered and they would do that via mobile service when parts arrived. (I said mobile would be fine when I dropped off - I’ve had good experiences with mobile).

Another 5 min and I have an electronic “docusign” service receipt in my email to approve.

With that said, I’ve had a terrible time talking to a real person between appointments. But my service experience has been good.

Sorry for your troubles. I’d see if they have a new loaner they could drop off or even meet 1/2 way).

However, I do like the idea of an always cool to step into :)

...We were able to control the media and A/C when we removed the screen from our Model 3. Of course you still need access to the car via the app in order to do that.

It might be different for the S and X. There were times when my S and X's screens were down (all dark), my app could not connect to my cars.

I had to physically reboot them in order for the app to work.

...Quite honestly, an experience like this has made me uncertain if my next car will be a Tesla...

Until several weeks ago, my Service Centers are about 200 miles away and I bought 3 Teslas since 2012 so far with a very satisfying experience.

No problems for my current 2017 Model X and 2018 Model 3. I had 3 services for my former 2012 Model S in its old age:

1) Mobile Unit Connector: signs of overheated connections.
2) 17" MCU bubbles
3) No heat for my Cabin Heater

I could still drive with those 3 above issues fine (doesn't snow in my place) but since I had Extended Service Agreement, I had them replaced with no additional cost.

So, for me, my 3 Tesla cars have been very reliable.

I got stranded on the roads multiple times with my former gasoline cars but none with my Tesla.

So, although it's quite an experience that you are going through, hopefully, your car is also as reliable as mine.

But sure, I agree that Tesla needs to win to get some Service Centers in Michigan!

Mine is stuck in my MS and they've diagnosed it from the shop. They told me that the daughterboard has crapped out (This is an MCU1).
It still runs, charges, etc. No radio or AC though, and I'm in FL. I'm just going to go ahead and replace the MCU1 with an MCU2.

Mine is stuck in my MS and they've diagnosed it from the shop. They told me that the daughterboard has crapped out (This is an MCU1).
It still runs, charges, etc. No radio or AC though, and I'm in FL. I'm just going to go ahead and replace the MCU1 with an MCU2.
They changed the graphics chip last year. I would guess this is MCU3? Wonder if this is an upgrade option?

The entire electrical architecture of the car has changed between MCU2 and MCU3. MCU3 is physically so different - separate from the display and water-cooled, there is no easy way to offer a retrofit from earlier models. It would likely be cheaper to buy a new car than do an MCU3 retrofit. Most modules would need to be replaced, new plumbing installed, and all the wiring harnesses throughout the car would need to be replaced. It may also need some structural changes to accommodate MCU3.

The entire electrical architecture of the car has changed between MCU2 and MCU3. MCU3 is physically so different - separate from the display and water-cooled, there is no easy way to offer a retrofit from earlier models. It would likely be cheaper to buy a new car than do an MCU3 retrofit. Most modules would need to be replaced, new plumbing installed, and all the wiring harnesses throughout the car would need to be replaced. It may also need some structural changes to accommodate MCU3.
True. :)

So, will an upgrade be available? Asking for a friend. /s

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker