Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Cold feet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New M3LR owner, first long trip. Three hours to Norfolk Monday (mixed weather - 15C, showers). Found the hot bum button by accident within seconds.

Spent the whole of the journey looking for the hot feet button. I stopped five times trying different settings of the heating/climate controls as well as pressing all kinds of buttons as I was driving.

Surely can't be that difficult - hoping there is an answer, or this car is going.

What's up? Are your feet too hot or too cold?

Tap the fan icon at the bottom, you'll get the AC controls screen. The blue and grey buttons on the right hand side control whether the air comes out at the windscreen, the middle vents and the foot vents. Just tap them on and off as you desire. You can also drag the middle vents around with two fingers to adjust which way it blows.

I've always had cold feet on long journeys in old fashioned cars, and have found that the Model 3 doesn't get as cold at foot-level, presumably because the thick battery provides more insulation underneath, and it warms up itself as you drive so whilst it never gets hot, it seems to take the cold edge off the floor that fossil cars have in the winter (October-May in the UK).

Reactions: Campi
Screen Shot 05-26-21 at 08.38 AM.PNG

From the Manual.

Foot level vents. Switch on.

Reactions: Campi and Yev000
Thanks for all the replies, but still not clear how to direct warm air to the foot well. I am sure I tried all possible settings on my Monday trip.

I will try again on the return trip tomorrow.

It took me five minutes to set the heating on my new Dacia, a car which is fraction of the cost of this Model 3. (and for those who enjoy amusing replies, no I can't just use the Dacia for the return journey, it is stuck in a garage in France - unused and unreachable).

To direct air to your feet its the lower button of section 4 on the screenshot above, take it out of auto, temperature and fan speed up should give you nice toasty feet.

Using the screen looks more complicated but control wise they have this right i think, its pretty much identical to the controls on higher level climate control units

Reactions: john19951
To direct air to your feet its the lower button of section 4 on the screenshot above, take it out of auto, temperature and fan speed up should give you nice toasty feet.

Using the screen looks more complicated but control wise they have this right i think, its pretty much identical to the controls on higher level climate control units
it is possible there is a fault. but if you do this and you reach down and still cannot feel anything going to your feet then I guess that would tell you but
likewise if you put it on auto and it never sends air to your feet that could also be a temp sensor failure I guess. if it auto allocates the air stream presumably it must have several sensors. could be a faulty on in the foot well.

Wasn't there a poll about cold feet?

I must admit that in our car, footwell temperature seems down on what is coming through the face/screen vents. To the point that I turn off footwell ventilation. Its made a slight difference. I don't think I can ever recall having particularly toasty warm feet at any point. We may well have sub par footwell heating, but its a tricky one to prove to Tesla.

Wasn't there a poll about cold feet?

I must admit that in our car, footwell temperature seems down on what is coming through the face/screen vents. To the point that I turn off footwell ventilation. Its made a slight difference. I don't think I can ever recall having particularly toasty warm feet at any point. We may well have sub par footwell heating, but its a tricky one to prove to Tesla.

There was one on hot feet!

Here we go. It was more about hot feet though even though I think I voted cold feet. 25% voted cold (pre facelift cars) so I am not alone.

Another vote here for cold feet syndrome.

I have pressed the button as described, but all that happens is cold air is passed to the feet unless I turn the temp up to 25+... then the rest of me roasts....

I have the same problem in the Ioniq, but have never had this problem in an ICE...

How hot do you want your feet? It's not very cold at the moment even at 8:30 my car cooled the cabin back to 20 rather than warming.

As well as directing the air, you would have to turn the target temperature to High in order to get it to produce heat