Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Downgrade Old Price S70 to S60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me the benefit of going 70 over 60? Maybe it's lost on me but the old 60 accelerated slower, supercharged slower and suffered more degradation.

This 60 doesn't appear to charge slower than the 70/ 75, doesn't appear to accelerate slower and since I'm assuming you could charge it to 100% all of the time, wouldn't the difference between a fully charged 60 and a 90% charged 70 be pretty unsubstantial? Not only that but it stands to reason that with a software limited pack you'd go years without seeing any kind of degradation.
The S70 uses uses a 75kwh battery. So I assume that S70 users can charge their battery to something close to 100 pc already. Could someone please weigh in on this?

When it's winter and you realize that 150 mile range or so is a problem?
Uhmmm... because 177 miles (assuming the same degradation with full 75KWh) is going to be solve the problem? If someone is that close to the range, they really should have considered a 90 from the getgo.

PS) drove an actual S60 for 2 years, would not have paid $9K to go to 75 (actually when I was buying, S85 would have only costed $8K more than S60 with supercharging).

We have a S70 refreshed. Whether you downgrade to an S60 is totally dependent on how far you need to drive at one time. A S60 would not work for us since we regularly make a180 mile one way trip (with a 1200 net change in elevation) with no supercharger available. We also make 180 mile round trips without having to stop to charge. This would not be possible with a S60 without some significant range anxiety). Frankly, I think $3,500 for the extra range of a S70 is a bargain.

We have a S70 refreshed. Whether you downgrade to an S60 is totally dependent on how far you need to drive at one time. A S60 would not work for us since we regularly make a180 mile one way trip (with a 1200 net change in elevation) with no supercharger available. We also make 180 mile round trips without having to stop to charge. This would not be possible with a S60 without some significant range anxiety). Frankly, I think $3,500 for the extra range of a S70 is a bargain.
I've concluded that you're right: $3500 for the extra range of an S70 vs. and S60 really is a bargain. Now, if I can only convince them to 'throw in' the added range of an S75.... I figure I'll wait until I'm 6 weeks out or so and ask what they would charge me to upgrade the S70 to the current S75. Ya never know....

I've concluded that you're right: $3500 for the extra range of an S70 vs. and S60 really is a bargain. Now, if I can only convince them to 'throw in' the added range of an S75.... I figure I'll wait until I'm 6 weeks out or so and ask what they would charge me to upgrade the S70 to the current S75. Ya never know....

I tried the same thing and got nowhere. I believe there is a better chance that at some point down the road (2 years maybe?), Tesla will run a special on unlocking the extra 5 kWh for a bargain price - say $1,000 to $1,500. By then, it should be pretty clear that all of the buyers who have paid full price for upgrading to the 75 kWh battery at the price initially offered have already done so. I believe Tesla would get a lot of takers (including me) at $1,000. Even at the bargain price, it is a pile of found money for Tesla at no additional cost. The hardware is already in place, and all that is involved is flipping a switch.

Reactions: arosenbe
It would have to be very cheap. From what I recollect reading here, paying $3k was a complete waste of money.

Reactions: arosenbe
I believe there is a better chance that at some point down the road (2 years maybe?), Tesla will run a special on unlocking the extra 5 kWh for a bargain price - say $1,000 to $1,500.

Very unlikely to happen IMO. Hasn't happened with S40 unlock (and they had 4 years to do that), AutoPilot unlock, or any other such feature. Doing any such upgrade would devalue existing cars with the option, hence it doesn't make sense. The time when the unlock is thrown in is when the car becomes a CPO and Tesla can increase its value by unlocking it, therefore getting actual market value on the unlock, but also not devaluing existing cars on the market.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Very unlikely to happen IMO. Hasn't happened with S40 unlock (and they had 4 years to do that), AutoPilot unlock, or any other such feature. Doing any such upgrade would devalue existing cars with the option, hence it doesn't make sense. The time when the unlock is thrown in is when the car becomes a CPO and Tesla can increase its value by unlocking it, therefore getting actual market value on the unlock, but also not devaluing existing cars on the market.

I hear you, but I don't see how it devalues other cars on the market. A car with a full 75 kWh battery is going to be worth the same amount as all cars with a full 75kWh battery. Rather than devaluing cars with a 75kWh battery from the start, it increases the value of the 70 kWh cars, and Tesla receives payment for the increase in value. Whether the unlock occurs before or after the car becomes a CPO is immaterial. Either way, Tesla has a 75 kWh car to resale. Its free money to Tesla.