Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Help identifying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed the top center panel on the inside of the rear lift-gate to get to some wiring. Right in the center there was something that had a 2-wire connector that for some reason would not come out no matter how hard I tried. I started trying to pry it out but could see the plastic was going to break, so I didn't force it. The wires feed into something shown in the picture (in front of the Lift Gate Speaker Grill sticker. My car doesn't have the premium sound, so no lift gate speakers. At first I thought this was a speaker since it does sit behind the speaker grill in the lift gate, but there is no sound coming from it. Now I'm wondering if I stressed the wiring in the connector, so that is why I want to know exactly what this is.

IMG_5926.jpg

I removed the top center panel on the inside of the rear lift-gate to get to some wiring. Right in the center there was something that had a 2-wire connector that for some reason would not come out no matter how hard I tried. I started trying to pry it out but could see the plastic was going to break, so I didn't force it. The wires feed into something shown in the picture (in front of the Lift Gate Speaker Grill sticker. My car doesn't have the premium sound, so no lift gate speakers. At first I thought this was a speaker since it does sit behind the speaker grill in the lift gate, but there is no sound coming from it. Now I'm wondering if I stressed the wiring in the connector, so that is why I want to know exactly what this is.

View attachment 281268

I would have guessed speaker also.
Regarding the connector, it looks like you undid the wire/ terminal restraint of the white connector instead of releasing the connector from the black socket. Likely has a press or pull tab on top (side facing the grill).

It looks like the lock tab needs to be pushed down.i would put a small screw driver in between the square part of the connector and the black part of the speaker. I suspect the speaker is present in all vehicles. But not connected at the other end, if premium sound option is not present.
20180219_192813.jpg