Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Installing a Tesla HPWC 40 amp version (NEMA 14-50)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

I need some serious help! hahahaha

I have been using the charge chord that came with my Model 3 but I decided I wanted to install the HPWC and since I already had a NEMA 14-50 plug where I want to install it, I decided to order the version (which I hear is pretty new????) that has the NEMA 14-50 chord already attached.

The charge chord that came with the Model 3 has worked good, it charges at 32 AMP but since I have a 50amp breaker, I'd like to charge at 40 AMP... which is why I bought the HPWC 40 amp version. I have tried googling info on this version of the HPWC but there isn't much out there, I guess its fairly new?

I mounted the HPWC and plugged it in and I am getting the 3 red lights flashing. According to the troubleshooting guide, it means "Input miswired: possibly Line and Neutral are swapped". I got my electrician to pull the plug out and look at it and he said everything is wired correct... and the fact that my other charge chord works perfect tells me that also.

Any idea on what the problem could be? I thought maybe the HPWC chord was wired wrong or something so I took the front off and take a look at to me, it looks kinda weird in there, wires just sticking out and so forth... is that how it should look? Also, I have read (but don't completely understand) about the DIP switches and both are up so I am not sure if I need to change something there?

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• HPWC 1.jpg
    HPWC 1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 276
  • HPWC 2.jpg
    HPWC 2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 248
  • HPWC 3.jpg
    HPWC 3.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 243
hmmm is it a legit hpwc? i thought tesla only sells hardwired ones like the one i bought. maybe its not legitimate?

It looks legit to me.. came in a Tesla box with part #'s.
HPWC 5.jpg

I saw a YouTube video about how some of these are around that have the NEMA 14-50 plug and when I saw it, I asked where he got it. He linked me to the ebayer that had them and they sent it to me. Actually, they sent me the 80AMP version first, I complained and then they sent me the 40 AMP version and credited me the shipping for sending the 80AMP verison back to them in Canada. Here's a few pics with the Part #'s.

HPWC 4.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
You need to change one of the dip switch settings in the WC to get it to work.
See around 11 minutes;

The first dip switch needs to be set down for 240 volt charging..

Yeah, that is from Delta, not Tesla.

You may notice the brand on that board isn't Tesla... a Belta search brings up some Chinese manufacturing.

If you watch the above video, you'll see the inside circuitry is the same in both the corded and regular WC. They are both from Tesla. Other buyers reported the corded WC to Tesla and they weren't concerned....probably because they know it is legitimate. If it wasn't, they would shut down sales immediately.

Last edited:
You need to change one of the dip switch settings in the WC to get it to work.
See around 11 minutes;

If you watch the above video, you'll see the inside circuitry is the same in both the corded and regular WC. They are both from Tesla. Other buyers reported the corded WC to Tesla and they weren't concerned....probably because they know it is legitimate. If it wasn't, they would shut down sales immediately.

That did the trick!!! I knew it had to be something simple! Thanks again!!! Hopefully this post helps others if they end up buying one.

Just curious, what was the problem with the original 80A one you received? Did it not have the 14-50 plug?

Correct, it did not have a NEMA 14-50 chord on it. It was just like the normal HPWC that you have to hard wire. I almost kept it but I didn't want to have to pay an electrician to run thicker (probably 2 gauge wire) wires and also buy a 100amp breaker when I already had 8 gauge wire ran inside the walls with a 50AMP breaker. I also charge at night so there was no reason for me to need the 80AMP version since I'm asleep when its charging anyway. I just like the way the HPWC mounts versus the one that comes with the Model 3.

When I contacted them, they apologized. They said they were all shipped together and from the outside of the box, you can't tell the difference. I bet they were shipped to them on accident. The small label on the box clearly states its 40AMP on it and the other one I got stated it was 80AMP so there was a clear difference in the small label. Someone at the factory probably screwed up.

Reactions: N54TT