Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sig698: I am working a project like yours in Washington State. One issue I have dealt with is the type of ESVE to install. Initially I was focused on the Tesla HPWC but in talks with potential host proprietors it became clear to me that the more universal J1772 connector was of higher interest to them. I drove to Canada last week to talk with the Sun Country Highway team that has deployed High Amperage L2 chargers along the Trans-Canada Highway. They came to the same conclusion and entered into an exclusive agreement with ClipperCreek for their CS90 ESVE. These units deliver a continuous 80 Amps via an SAE J1772 connector. The advantage is almost any EV can use this connection including the Tesla Roadster and Model S. You may find a wider array of interested parties, both host and contributor if you focus on a more universal EVSE. Keep posting on this forum so we can follow your progress and learn from your experiences.

Not trying to hijack this awesome thread. BUT :smile: Any idea if this CS100 is lockable? I'm trying to pitch the idea to our Country Club board and 80 amps for anyone would be the way to go. They want to tie it to playing a round of, golf or at least using the dining room somehow. They don't want to give up the parking space unless they get some tradeoff. A lock of some kind would probably satisfy them since I am offering to pay for the unit and maintenance after the warranty. I would also entertain ideas on how to convince them that it would work for the club.

Not trying to hijack this awesome thread. BUT :smile: Any idea if this CS100 is lockable? I'm trying to pitch the idea to our Country Club board and 80 amps for anyone would be the way to go. They want to tie it to playing a round of, golf or at least using the dining room somehow. They don't want to give up the parking space unless they get some tradeoff. A lock of some kind would probably satisfy them since I am offering to pay for the unit and maintenance after the warranty. I would also entertain ideas on how to convince them that it would work for the club.

is there a valet-parking? putting it there would be best!
This way valets can controle & switch charging if needed
Valets could say if clients it's free, else there is a fee
this way no rfid problems too

I noticed the dot on the supercharger 5 year plan near Kingman, but didn't notice anything near Blythe (or anything along the 10, for that matter). Where did you hear these wonderful rumors?
I heard the rumor from a Tesla employee in Scottsdale, as I posted elsewhere, that 3 sites would be going online in the next couple of months; Kingman, Blythe, and Yuma. Locations designed with similar intent as in Calif for frequent travel corridors; PHX to Las Vegas, PHX to LA, and PHX to San Diego.

Sequence number.
:)
Still waiting on the HPWC, my updated estimate from Tesla is sometime in March at the moment. I'm getting jealous seeing all these HPWCs arrive at their homes!
AnOutsider hasn't gotten his HPWC and IIRC he had sequence # 532.
I got mine on Friday (02/09/13) and my sequence # was 552.

So yours shouldn't be too far behind, I suspect.

Look at the "Load Management Inputs" section of the installation manual for the CS-100 installation manual http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/CS-100%20User%20Manual%2075A%20DLP%20091124%20v01.pdf for details on remotely controlling if the EVSE is active...

Just a quick update, my HPWC finally arrived this week and I'm planning to deliver it for installation on Easter weekend! I've also spoken to several people at Tesla and they have confirmed the Blythe supercharger coming later this year, so this will make a nice gap filler for those of us whom are a bit too far from Blythe to make that charger their only stop. Can't wait to easily drive to Phoenix in my MSP!

Just a quick update, my HPWC finally arrived this week and I'm planning to deliver it for installation on Easter weekend! I've also spoken to several people at Tesla and they have confirmed the Blythe supercharger coming later this year, so this will make a nice gap filler for those of us whom are a bit too far from Blythe to make that charger their only stop. Can't wait to easily drive to Phoenix in my MSP!
Got a buddy driving down from NorCal on the Monday after Easter. Any chance he'll be able to take a sip on his drive down? How will it work?

I was hopeful that the Blythe/Kingman/Yuma Superchargers would be in shortly, based on what a Tesla employee heard last month. Would be really nice to have Yuma by first week of May for my return trip from Tucson.

Fantastic!

I don't have a car on order yet, but am considering putting a reservation in on a 60kWh. From my house in north Scottsdale, I can reach Blythe if I go through Wickenburg (slower road most of the way, but 30 miles shorter...), and I almost always stop in Chiriaco summit anyway, so might be an option for a top off.

Any word form Tesla if they plan a Supercharger near Palm Springs?

Got a buddy driving down from NorCal on the Monday after Easter. Any chance he'll be able to take a sip on his drive down? How will it work?

It may be possible, depending on how quickly their maintenance guy installs it, but of course I wouldn't 100% count on it to the point that your trip depends on it. I would say that there is a pretty good chance it will be ready, though; it seems to be a fairly straightforward installation.

My understanding of how it will work is that it will be housed in a protective enclosure, and to use it you go to the gas station attendant's counter, pay a small fee ($5-$10), and get the key. Return the key when you're done! Ta da!

I have a business in CA who wants to install a Tesla Model S charger. They know what they want and where they want to put it. They want help finding all the Fed & State incentives to help them defray some costs. I've searched the threads and keep seeing people saying it is posted elsewhere. Can someone help a Teslavangelist with a link? :confused:

I see PIA has some: http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives where they write: "The EV infrastructure tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers and 30% up to $30,000 for businesses." I've seen on the PIA site an indirect link to this site: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/states/CA which helps as well. Maybe we should start a new thread which consolidates these business incentive links for easy access, or has it already been done?

IT'S UP! IT'S UP AND RUNNING!!!

I just got the call that they got the charger up and running! I guess their supplies came in! It's at Chiriaco Summit, and to use it just go to the gas station counter and ask. They may charge $10 or so. The charger itself is located at the old gas station/repair shop right next to the restaurant. Hope everyone gets a chance to use it and I can't wait to hear any reports of its use! I'll definitely post once I head down that way too!