Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me make a fair offer on this 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I’m looking for a fairly cheap Model S to use as a commuter car. Basically going to drive it into the ground

I found a 2012 Signature red model s for sale in my area
It has 46k miles
It’s for sale at a used car dealership, they listed the car for $42,991.

I’m not good at negotiating, but at the same time I’m not willing to overpay for a car
What would you pay for that car?

My main concern is of course the battery warranty expiring in a little over a year.

Honestly not at $42K. Unless you want the signature moniker and badging, interior and red color. It’s out or close to out of warranty. Confirm if Drive Unit or Battery were ever replaced first.

You’d want at least a Rev B pack if possible at a minimum but a dig will likely be Rev A. So check TESLA warranty on that too first.

I got a 2014 P85+ with 50k for $39.3k back in April. A nice vin in the 44k build range. Solid construction.

Check the tail lights if they are out can get expensive to replace out of warranty.

Reactions: AMPd
Honestly not at $42K. Unless you want the signature moniker and badging, interior and red color. It’s out or close to out of warranty. Confirm if Drive Unit or Battery were ever replaced first.

You’d want at least a Rev B pack if possible at a minimum but a dig will likely be Rev A. So check TESLA warranty on that too first.

I got a 2014 P85+ with 50k for $39.3k back in April. A nice vin in the 44k build range. Solid construction.

Check the tail lights if they are out can get expensive to replace out of warranty.
Thank you, yeah I’m seeing cheaper 2014s on sale so there’s no way I’m paying anywhere near the 43k they want
The signature red is cool, but it’s not worth much to me.
Good point on the battery revision, I’ll be sure to get a look at the sticker when I go to see it in person.
I’ll try to get any info I can from tesla regarding any warranty work that may have been done, drive train, battery. Maybe MCU