Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me talk my wife into a P Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told my wife I wanted a Model Y which she agreed to. I didn't tell her about the different trim levels (LR vs. Performance) and guess which one I ended up getting... Performance! 😂. My wife was hesitant at first about Tesla and she actually admits now that she likes the car and enjoys driving it.

Reactions: SaloonGoon
We had the latest gen RDX. Overall a pretty good car. Ride quality is vastly better than any version of the MY. Ours had the electronic suspension so you could dial it softer or firmer. Honestly any setting was better than the MY LR and vastly better than the MYP. Headlights were better, seats were better, heads up display worked well. Carplay and Android auto as well. Heated and cooled seats were nice. The panoramic roof opens and it has a retractable sunshade. It has a front camera as well to help with parking. Overall the tech included was quite good on the RDX. Some features aren't even available on the MY. I hate everything on just one screen for adjusting controls. Overall I like the package of the MY and so does my wife but it can be improved a lot but we decided to sell our RDX.

It literally sold in one day and we only lost 3k over 2 years of use so we couldn't pass up selling it. We ended up placing an order on an MYP. It worked out pretty well as a tow vehicle and if were still going to tow a lot, would have kept it over the MY. I could tow a pretty big trailer and still get 200+ miles on a tank, refuel in 5 min and be back on the road. That isn't going to happen with any current Tesla. I wanted something a little quicker and the MY and M3 looked like a good option but since you can't really tow (from a warranty perspective in the US) with the M3, the MY was a good choice. I wanted something fairly quick so we went with the MYP.

Sadly though my wife hates the suspension and ride compliance. She likes a lot of other things about the car but the suspension is a non starter for her. With the 21" wheels she will curb the heck out of them when she drives. So now reassessing which way to go. The MY LR with AB isn't that much slower and rides a lot better. I don't want to sink more money buy 18/19" wheels and tires and coilovers on the MYP. It was pretty good over the smooth pavement but definitely worse than the M3P, MY LR and M3 LR over the rougher stuff. For ride compliance, I will definitely miss the RDX.

We had the latest gen RDX. Overall a pretty good car. Ride quality is vastly better than any version of the MY. Ours had the electronic suspension so you could dial it softer or firmer. Honestly any setting was better than the MY LR and vastly better than the MYP. Headlights were better, seats were better, heads up display worked well. Carplay and Android auto as well. Heated and cooled seats were nice. The panoramic roof opens and it has a retractable sunshade. It has a front camera as well to help with parking. Overall the tech included was quite good on the RDX. Some features aren't even available on the MY. I hate everything on just one screen for adjusting controls. Overall I like the package of the MY and so does my wife but it can be improved a lot but we decided to sell our RDX.

It literally sold in one day and we only lost 3k over 2 years of use so we couldn't pass up selling it. We ended up placing an order on an MYP. It worked out pretty well as a tow vehicle and if were still going to tow a lot, would have kept it over the MY. I could tow a pretty big trailer and still get 200+ miles on a tank, refuel in 5 min and be back on the road. That isn't going to happen with any current Tesla. I wanted something a little quicker and the MY and M3 looked like a good option but since you can't really tow (from a warranty perspective in the US) with the M3, the MY was a good choice. I wanted something fairly quick so we went with the MYP.

Sadly though my wife hates the suspension and ride compliance. She likes a lot of other things about the car but the suspension is a non starter for her. With the 21" wheels she will curb the heck out of them when she drives. So now reassessing which way to go. The MY LR with AB isn't that much slower and rides a lot better. I don't want to sink more money buy 18/19" wheels and tires and coilovers on the MYP. It was pretty good over the smooth pavement but definitely worse than the M3P, MY LR and M3 LR over the rougher stuff. For ride compliance, I will definitely miss the RDX.
ICE cars, as daily tools, will be an anachronism soon.
Has your wife test drive the Y?
My wife just test drived it last weekend and she now is opened to it.

Yes. We were given an overnight
loaner

No pesky lumbar support in passenger seat 🤗

I wouldn’t use it anyway, which is the argument Lord Elon made

Only an idiot would buy non ev luxury car. We're going through an ev shift right now just like smart phone with the iphone

I have an R8, so I guess I’m an idiot 🤣🤣✌🏼

I am not sure ICE cars will be out to pasture too soon for daily drivers. Really comes down to your commute. If relatively short, and you can charge from a low cost/free power source, there is a lot of benefit to an EV.

If I'd have to use a supercharger a lot, it would really drive up the cost per mile. It is basically triple what my home rate is. I personally am a big fan of diesels. Until they started jacking up the fuel taxes crazily in a lot of states, diesel vehicles were/are a great option. They have lots of low end torque and very cheap to feed. I remember a road trip with the kids years ago where we went from outside of Atlanta to Iowa City, Iowa easily on a tank of diesel in our Passat. It was about 900 miles. That car got about 60 mpg. That probably cost less for energy costs per mile than a Tesla using a supercharger.

I think there will be a challenge with the infrastructure in the US if we move too quickly to EVs. I would be interested in seeing the energy requirements if everyone had an EV at home versus our current capacity. We used and EV exclusively when my wife was in a grad school program and there was no convenient charging unless we went way away to charge. It wasn't a Tesla but I couldn't see buying Model S at the time and leaving it parked outside all the time.

I love EVs but I still appreciate ICE vehicles too.