Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! P100D vs. P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have spent the past few days reading thru various posts/threads/etc. Very impressed with the thoughtful questions and feedback that participants herein query and reply. Feel like I've learned more from this forum than reading 50+ articles, or talking to countless sales people. Thank you from the peanut gallery.

So, that said, Question 1 is, I'm about to pull the trigger myself on either a P100D or a P90DL, and need some help. I have a deposit down on a P90DL, that comes with a modest discount (~$14k), b/c it was formerly a demo, and has about 1400 miles on it. It has the Autopilot V1, and lots of other goodies. Where I'm struggling is now that the P100D pretty much outdates the P90DL in every way, including the new "Enhanced Autopilot", it seems that despite the discount, I'm probably better off opting for the P100D. More range, faster, etc, and the cost difference isn't that much when you consider the P100D will likely depreciate slower. Yet, I'm also a "deal" guy, so I'm drawn to any discount a salesperson dangles in front of me. I'm such a sucker. Any thoughts?

Question 2, I feel very blessed to be able to afford either car outright, but I've leased cars for the past 15 years. That said, the lease rates on both of these cars stink, but purchasing seems silly too b/c the pace of innovation seems to be accelerating (much like a computer or a cell phone), so purchasing them seems to be a bad bet too. The P90DL will for sure depreciate quicker than the P100D, but both are likely outdated a year from now regardless. Yikes! While the lease rates stink, I'm leaning towards just leasing the P90DL, and letting the dust settle a little on this Autopilot V1 versus V2 update, then purchasing something 3 years from now.

Please help me think thru this...Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

I'm guessing it's a refreshed P90DL, but I would ask them to check for some demo P100Ds, I have seen a few pop up, as much as 12k off for the AP1 versions. The extra 50 miles is great, and the P100D doesn't drop power as quickly as the battery goes down. If you're into the autopilot stuff, then 1 year from now you'll probably wish you had the new features, so on a 3 year lease you should probably just go for it all. YOLO... :)

BTW, I have the P100D AP1, and am very happy with it....

Reactions: DIL
There are p100d v1ap with 20k discount and p100d v2ap (fsd) with 10k discount with 300-400 miles
https://ev-cpo.com/
this site shows only 30% of the real inventory so they can offer cars which you cant see there.
and yes your car is like a cell phone im sure you will be able to buy a p110d or a p120d end of the next year.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have spent the past few days reading thru various posts/threads/etc. Very impressed with the thoughtful questions and feedback that participants herein query and reply. Feel like I've learned more from this forum than reading 50+ articles, or talking to countless sales people. Thank you from the peanut gallery.

So, that said, Question 1 is, I'm about to pull the trigger myself on either a P100D or a P90DL, and need some help. I have a deposit down on a P90DL, that comes with a modest discount (~$14k), b/c it was formerly a demo, and has about 1400 miles on it. It has the Autopilot V1, and lots of other goodies. Where I'm struggling is now that the P100D pretty much outdates the P90DL in every way, including the new "Enhanced Autopilot", it seems that despite the discount, I'm probably better off opting for the P100D. More range, faster, etc, and the cost difference isn't that much when you consider the P100D will likely depreciate slower. Yet, I'm also a "deal" guy, so I'm drawn to any discount a salesperson dangles in front of me. I'm such a sucker. Any thoughts?

Question 2, I feel very blessed to be able to afford either car outright, but I've leased cars for the past 15 years. That said, the lease rates on both of these cars stink, but purchasing seems silly too b/c the pace of innovation seems to be accelerating (much like a computer or a cell phone), so purchasing them seems to be a bad bet too. The P90DL will for sure depreciate quicker than the P100D, but both are likely outdated a year from now regardless. Yikes! While the lease rates stink, I'm leaning towards just leasing the P90DL, and letting the dust settle a little on this Autopilot V1 versus V2 update, then purchasing something 3 years from now.

Unless you get a huge discount on P90DL ($14k discount seems a bit small); otherwise, go for P100D. It actually has 15 kwh additional usable battery capacity, NOT the 10 kwh like the model name suggests. This means faster supercharging time, and improve charge time vs drive time ratio while using supercharger on trip. Also, like fiksegts pointed out, P100D power drop off is less as the battery level is going down, so you get full power more often. Not to mention that you future proof your car with AP2 and full self driving capability.

Short version: I'd wait for 100D with AP2.

Long version:
I leased a demo classic P90DL as part of the q3 2 year discounted lease (Sticker discount was like $33k). Tesla's are like cell phones were a few years ago. New AP. New fascia. New roof. New seats. New battery cells. Version 3 supercharger? Loss of value, I want new gadgets etc...but, some won't care about these things, and that's fine.

I'm obviously happy with it given that I'm paying less than 50% of the typical lease rate and only for 2 years. Higher/longer than that? Probably wouldn't consider it "worth it" to me. I know people get tired of hearing it, but the build quality is not there for the price of the car. If I were paying full price, I would buy the biggest battery I needed for range, and forget the performance premium. For me that would be a lightly optioned 60D.

Every single day I am glad I get to drive the car. Best car I have ever had/driven - and it's not close. Every single day I am glad I did not buy the car. To me there is just no way it is worth the (even heavily discounted) price they were asking versus an updated Model S. And in 2 years they're going to want 90 some thousand dollars for it? Classic fascia? AP1? Vs a new model 3? New 100D AP2 car? Yeah, right.

Also, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this board, but I'm not impressed with AP1. It works really well on good roads and if you are following a slow car in stop-and-go traffic. Throw in some old paint, rain, snow, salt, etc at 70 MPH with traffic and I've not found it to be reliable. The car has no blind spot detection in the typical sense. At this point I would not pay any premium for AP1 over a pre-AP CPO. I would miss the TACC, but that's it. AP2 or bust.

• Informative
Reactions: sbtz and DIL

I've got some help for you. You can check out the EV-CPO.com site. There you will find new inventory both 90Ds and P100D's. Some are discounted and some are also AP1 and some are AP2. I think you will find what you want. Check it out. (As reward, you can use my referral code to help me pay for my new 90D that I have on order.)

Thank you everyone for your input today! Sorry, I've been away from my computer, but have been reading everyone's input on my phone (even during a business meeting, shhh!), and really appreciate it. @Akikiki, that ev-cpo.com site is amazing. Think you all have convinced me that my suspicion over the P90DL is well-founded, and the P100D is the way to go. I spoke to my sales associate tonight and she's located a P100D for me with about a $10k discount....again, I'm a sucker for a discount. Probably going to go for that....Still haven't decided between lease and purchase....I think @ba2002 has a good point that buying these things is silly. Plus, for somebody like me that has serious FOMO when something new comes out (hence my 15 years of leasing as I mentioned in my initial thread), I'm probably the case study for why people lease...