Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help regarding prognosticating repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 month old Model S.

First incident/accident. On a ramp onto a freeway, I was going at about 30 mph. Saw a deer cross and next second 2nd deer hit the car from the right side. Not a big accident. (Saw deer run away in the side mirror)

But the damage is there. Rear passenger side door dents. I was hoping for advice regarding 2 things.

1. I am assuming the door has to be replaced. Correct? What would be any long term implications of that? How long do you guys think this would take? Estimated cost? I ask cuz I have a big 9 hr drive for family visit trip coming up in early November. Didn't want to take a dented new car but at the same time would rather drive a dented Tesla.

2. I have two insurances right now. Bit of a story, was going to cancel one but anyway right now I have 2 insurances. Already called insurance A (been with them for 3 yrs) and reported it right away. But then I realized my deductible with insurance B is 500 less. So can I cancel the first claim and go with insurance B? Does this depend on the actual company or deer hitting car is just bad luck and would be taken care of similarly by any insurance?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20171028_195951.jpg
    20171028_195951.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20171028_200008.jpg
    20171028_200008.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20171028_203933.jpg
    20171028_203933.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20171028_203945.jpg
    20171028_203945.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 51
...taken care of similarly by any insurance...

If you have collision coverage, deer collision would be covered by any insurance company.

The service of each company may be different though. Some are easy to deal with, some not.

You've got to make sure your insurance company would pay for Tesla approved body shops. Some may want their own preferred ones regardless of whether they are Tesla certification or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: redy
The deer ran into you so it's no different than a stone hitting your windshield. At least that's how it worked in our case years ago with another vehicle.

Regarding repair timing... I would drive the car with the dented door on your November trip. It's not a safety issue and it could generate interesting conversations when you stop along the way. At highway speed I doubt anyone will notice.

My thoughts for your consideration.

• Helpful
Reactions: redy
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave it as is and get it repaired after I come back.

Do you guys think it will be a repair job or replace the door deal?

Your decision is consistent with the potential lengthy repair time.

With traditional steel car, it's quite an easy job to pull and tug the panel into perfection.

With aluminum, not many shops have attained such skill.

Most likely, they would get a another door instead.

Sorry about your incident. Do you have any paint scuffs/chips (hard to tell with the artificial lighting)? These dents look like something that could be at least attempted by a professional shop to be fixed without replacing the doors.