Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Submitting PTO for SCE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a 4.4 kW solar system (16 REC Solar REC275TP solar panels and Ginlong Tech Solis-3.6K-2G-US inverter) installed under the original NEM 1.0.

We added 3 Powerwalls to this existing system and I am looking to submit my own PTO application (instead of continuing to wait on Tesla - it's been 6 months now and no movement).

Does anyone have any experience here? I only have a few questions, like:
  • NEM program under which we are participating (I believe it is NEM 1.0 expansion)
  • Will you be installing 1) a non-export relay on the storage device(s) or 2) a NGOM Directly to the NEM REGF(s)? Or 3) Utilizing a Certified Power Control System or 4) Utilizing the Maximum Continuous Discharge rating methodology for the storage device(s)? (no clue what to add here)
  • Operating voltage of existing solar panel system (not sure what to put here either) - SCE website says "This value should be the voltage rating designated by the manufacturer and used in this Generating Facility. Please indicate phase-to-phase voltages for 3-phase installations. See SCE's Rule 21, Section H.2.b. for additional information."
  • Under the "attachments" section at the end, it asks for the "appropriate NEM Agreement Type". It seems this should be Standard NEM 10 kW or Less GFIA.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No I don't.

SGIP is a two step process. The first is to obtain an SGIP reservation (which I have and don't need help with) and the second is to demonstrate that your system is installed and you have PTO. The SGIP program won't cut you a check unless you demonstrate PTO from the utility.

I need help submitting my PTO application to SCE.

No one self submits this, its done by your installer. I also do not think its going to be possible for you to complete your SGIP yourself, even after you get PTO. I realize you are attempting to circumvent that process but I dont think you are going to be successful in doing so.

I respectfully disagree. There are others on this forum who have submitted (and obtained) their own SGIP rebates (and have been helpful with my process). Nothing in the rules prohibits homeowners being proactive (and their own advocates) to take advantage of these programs. If you know of something specific, let me know.

I contacted SCE and they said that homeowners can submit their own PTO applications.

I previously worked directly with PGE to PTO a complex solar project the installer couldn't figure out because we needed NEMA PTO. PGE was actually great, we worked together to crunch the numbers and get the proper documents in order to finish the project without the installer involved.

While the norm might be for the installer to take care of this, my experience (apparently like many others on this forum) has been far from the norm with Tesla. I'm not attempting to circumvent the process; I'm trying to finish our projects since some of our matters with Tesla have been pending now almost 2 years, despite representations they would be finished in 3 months.

Reactions: Ampster
I have no doubt that you can eventually get PTO on your own, its the SGIP part that I believe you will have "challenges" with, especially since its likely that your reservation is under teslas developer key, but will wish you the best of luck with it.

I think you need to research SCE's Grid Interconnection Processing Tool (GIPT) application system so you can see if you can file their Form 14-732 online. https://gridinterconnection.sce.com...JoubYmkBqgUAL94hRcnV1*/!STANDARD?AppName=GIPT I just had a couple of Tesla batteries installed that charge off the grid as we don't have solar. There is an $800 fee for SCE's efforts to review your application. I think you also need to provide a copy of your homeowners declaration page showing coverage levels. You can set up a GIPT account using the login details you use for your SCE online account. I think you need to provide a system diagram (like the one on your electrical permit) since they perform a technical review too to make sure the momentary switching of the batteries is properly handled. Since you have solar, I think you have to apply as a non-exporter under Rule 21. You can also email that team at [email protected] and confirm whether you can use the GIPT tool for your particular installation before you apply. In our case, once the application was made online using the GIPT system for a standalone battery project, it went into their Fast Track program and was reviewed within about 15 days. We got the interconnection agreement about a month after applying and we're now just waiting for the formal PTO letter from the SCE contract manager now that we have returned their Interconnection Agreement using Docusign. Once we get the PTO, our contractor can then submit the paperwork to the SGIP team so we can get our rebate. Try searching for Rule 21 Interconnection Request Checklist for Projects requesting an accelerated Permission To Operate. Hope this helps.

Last edited: