Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help understanding range estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 5.5-month-old Raven S is rated at 285-miles range. New, it reported 276 on a full charge and then lowered to 273. No big deal.

Last weekend I accidentally left the charge limit at 100% and woke up the next morning to 99% charge and only 264 miles of range. That seems mighty low. I figured I'll try to do a recalibration/rebalance and haven't charged in four days.

I know the true capacity on a 75 kWh battery is really 72.5 kWh. Based on that, the 139.4 miles travelled/35.2 kWh used/252 Wh per mile is right on track for 285-287 miles of total range. According the trip meter, I've only used half of the available battery capacity...so how come I only have 30% (80 miles) remaining?

20200212_193044.jpg

The only thing that would make sense is if the trip meter only measures consumption of the motors and nothing else. So perhaps I'm at 30% remaining, instead of 50% left, because 20% must have been lost to battery warming, Sentry Mode, powering display(s), seat heaters, honking the horn, listening to the radio, using turn signals, folding mirrors in when locking the car, etc.

I don't think it adds the lost kWs used when you leave it parked in the cold for a while. Watch the battery drain percentage before you leave it parked and then look at it when you come back. It has to maintain the battery at a certain temperature and that tends to be quite a bit if you leave your car parked for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1