Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with a Bad PPT Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CE548104-0030-45AA-BA25-0562C95AEF13.jpeg
This happened about a week ago, less than a month after I took delivery of my car....

I’m super bummed right now. Long story short, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on paint protection film from a local guy who worked at dealers during the week and out of his garage on the weekends.

He (his company) had nothing but 5 star reviews. Nonetheless, he did a poor job to say the least. I gave him an attempt at correcting it, and it turned out even worse.

He did give me a full refund but thats after he marred my paint (scratched the clear coat with his knife in multiple spots and when he attempted to polish the scratches out he got down to the metal on one edge).

At this point the film is still on. Portions of it appear to be done reasonably well, but the bumper is really bad.

I have attached a picture of the worst section though there are other spots with similar bubbling at the edge.

I am wondering if this is something I could possibly fix myself? Should I make him take it off? I really don’t trust him with my car so I’d like to avoid taking it back to him.

Appreciate any advice you all might have.

Attachments

• F9698D46-32E1-4EF2-AC67-FB83F7B2C505.jpeg
    F9698D46-32E1-4EF2-AC67-FB83F7B2C505.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 3F43EF79-1E51-4E40-9F53-1A4D93A28BF8.jpeg
    3F43EF79-1E51-4E40-9F53-1A4D93A28BF8.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: AlexMasters
OMG. Great that you got a refund and some paint marring is something that can be dealt with. But burning the paint through incorrect polishing is unforgivable. IMO, you need to have him pay for a couple things:
  1. Professional removal of the PPF - sure, it should be easy (just some heat and pulling toward you) but I would definitely not risk doing it myself (in case you end up with issues from the removal like further paint transfer!) and not sure you would want him touching your car again. What film was used? And how much did he charge/refund you for this whole ordeal?
  2. Front bumper repaint to address the burnt area. This frankly sucks because as bad as the OEM paint is, having any body panel repainted just sucks. It has potential to harm resale, may be a challenge to perfectly match, etc.
Not sure how you want to handle this and how willing he will be to fix these issues on his own dime. If he won't you need to decide if it is worth small claims (probably not) or if you just suck it up and pay to have these repairs done. If he doesn't take care of you you need to make sure his 5 star reviews are counterbalanced.

Alls well that ends well. After I sent him a few body shop estimates, the installer ended up filing a claim with his insurance company.

After a lot of time and patience, I ended up with $5k in my pocket. I chose not to repaint the bumper. Instead I had the most reputable shop in DFW do some minor correction and reinstall the PPF as it should have been done on the first place.