Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Level 2 Charger Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, My apologies in advance if this has been asked. I searched and couldn't find a post with the info I needed. I just had a 14-50 outlet installed. I wanted the versatility of the outlet vs. hard-wire for the Tesla Branded wall charger. I purchased a JuiceBox 40 Wi-Fi Enabled EV Charging Station - 40 Amp

I am having second thoughts, looking for a recomendation on a top level charger, This is only 40amps and from what I see I can charge my M3LR Performance up to 48amps
I got the charger from my local power company with a rebate of 250 so it only cost me 399, should I just stick with it when it gets here or buy something else, im good with spending the money
to upgrade. Any help appreciated for this newbie! THank you!!!

So, in addition to the cool green lights, it also has WiFi capabilities. If I understand it correctly, none of the features are currently active - but there are plans to allow multiple wall connectors to communicate and "smartly" distribute charging load based on what your panel's max is and what vehicle needs it the most. I also think I read somewhere that you can turn it into a mini public charging station that would let other people use it (and pay you) - kind of like a mini super charger. No idea if that is actually happening though.

Upvote 0
So, in addition to the cool green lights, it also has WiFi capabilities. If I understand it correctly, none of the features are currently active - but there are plans to allow multiple wall connectors to communicate and "smartly" distribute charging load based on what your panel's max is and what vehicle needs it the most. I also think I read somewhere that you can turn it into a mini public charging station that would let other people use it (and pay you) - kind of like a mini super charger. No idea if that is actually happening though.
power sharing was recently enabled, and apparently billing for usage is also already available(although you might need to be a corporate entity or somesuch)

Upvote 0
You should buy the Tesla Wall Connector not a Juice box. The Tesla EVSE has a Tesla connector, the Juice Box has a J1772 which will require an adapter. What makes using it with an adapter a pain is that the holster for the J1772 won't hold a cable with the adapter on it so you will have to take the adapter off and put it on every time you use it. There is one brand of J1772 EVSE for Grizzle-E that includes two holsters, one for J1772 and one for the cable with the Tesla adapter. I already had a ClipperCreek when I got my Tesla, after I figured out that the cable with an adapter wouldn't fit in the holster I added a Tesla Wall Connector, which as a bonus is faster because it's 48A vs 32A for the ClipperCreek.

Upvote 0
Hello all, My apologies in advance if this has been asked. I searched and couldn't find a post with the info I needed. I just had a 14-50 outlet installed. I wanted the versatility of the outlet vs. hard-wire for the Tesla Branded wall charger. I purchased a JuiceBox 40 Wi-Fi Enabled EV Charging Station - 40 Amp

I am having second thoughts, looking for a recomendation on a top level charger, This is only 40amps and from what I see I can charge my M3LR Performance up to 48amps
I got the charger from my local power company with a rebate of 250 so it only cost me 399, should I just stick with it when it gets here or buy something else, im good with spending the money
to upgrade. Any help appreciated for this newbie! THank you!!!

If you want 48A charging then obviously JuiceBox 40 can't do that. However, I have it and I like it mainly because it's portable/plug-in and has much better scheduled charging capability than Tesla cars and EVSE's and it also works with that the non-Tesla EV's I have.

Reactions: Stan930
Upvote 0