Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with my new 70D CPO battery issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping you can help me out. I took delivery on a 2015 70D on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I charged the car to 80% and it said I had 190 miles. Since the charge, I have driven 43 miles and now I have only 72 miles left. Is this normal?? I have somehow "lost" 77 miles.

I just called Tesla and they said "this is normal and because it is cold out It is cold but not very cool (approx. 30 degrees at night) and if I use heated seats and drive up steep streets. The rating are in ideal weather conditions and driving 55 miles an hour)

Another few things - when I was scheduled for the orientation they delayed me because they said "they were having a few errors relating to the battery. They will fix it or replace it" When I took delivery they said it was fixed but couldn't tell me wheat was wrong or what they fixed. When I spoke with them now he said the notes said there was an error uncorking (even though you can't uncork a 70D) and when software was re installed everything was fixed.

I am very disappointed if the range is only 100 miles not the 240 I thought I was purchasing. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!!

What is the Watts per mile posted under trips (since last charge)? Also, need to check your settings to limit phantom losses.
Have say that this may be normal, but you can proactively address them in the future

3. Things like heater or ac use are not factored in watt per mile.

HVAC is factored into the watt-hours per mile displayed in trips. Wh/mi = total energy consumed divided by miles driven.

The OP's observations seem unusual to me. Even in the worst weather conditions, I wouldn't expect 43 miles of travel to consume 118 rated miles. At about one mile per kWh consumption, only possible scenarios I can think of is several short in-town trips in sub-freezing temperatures or significant amounts of snow. Looking at the weather for Providence in the past week, I don't think either of these situations applies.

Last edited:
Thank you! It is 454 Wh/mi. I am attaching a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9745.JPG
    IMG_9745.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
That's high, but not three times higher than normal.

Charge the car up to 100% overnight. Observe and make note of your displayed range. Comparing this to the car's rated range will give you an idea of how healthy your battery pack is. Then go on a long drive (100 miles or so) and keep an eye on your energy stats. Report your findings here.

I'm impressed by your whm, that's proof you're enjoying your car!

If it's cold for you, preheat the car while plugged in, you "burn" a lot of miles heating up the car and battery, those reduce miles available quickly. Turn off Range Mode if you have it on. Let your car heat the battery normally, range mode does weird things that seem to work counter-intuitively in the cold. Leave the energy app up and pay attention to your whm. Rated range requires you to have no fun, and also requires warmer weather (but not too hot either).

Winter eats up miles faster than you can drive them. My suggestion is to switch to just show battery % and ignore the inaccurate range display.