Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with purchasing/leasing Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm finally ready to get a Model S, but I've really been wanting to wait for Autopilot 2.0. I read that it could be coming by the end of the year, but I know there's no way to know for sure.

What's my best option for incurring as little damage as possible, if I wanted a Model S now but wanted to switch to a new one once AP 2.0 is available? Assuming it can't be retrofitted. Should I lease? What kind of lease is best? Should I just wait til the end of the year? I have a huge fear of it being released as soon as I get my car.

Thank you

When's the best time to buy a Tesla?
"Now" -Elon Musk

Can't help with lease info but while I wait for my car to enter production, I'm thinking "if I wait for the rumored update I'll be waiting forever". Like the iPhone, as soon as one update comes, the rumors for the next update begin.

Hi, I'm finally ready to get a Model S, but I've really been wanting to wait for Autopilot 2.0. I read that it could be coming by the end of the year, but I know there's no way to know for sure.

What's my best option for incurring as little damage as possible, if I wanted a Model S now but wanted to switch to a new one once AP 2.0 is available? Assuming it can't be retrofitted. Should I lease? What kind of lease is best? Should I just wait til the end of the year? I have a huge fear of it being released as soon as I get my car.

Thank you

If I were you, I'd wait. That's what I'm doing. Order is already in, but delivery is scheduled for late March/early April. Don't listen to the people who say that youll always be waiting if you pull the trigger now. There are significant changes in the works. AutoPilot is just one of them. There's also good reason to expect that the ventilated seats from the Model X and the center console with the rear cup holders will both make their way to the Model S soon. I see no reason to pull the trigger now unless you desperately need one

What are you driving in the mean time? Even if they release AP 2 hardware tomorrow, if history is any indication it'll be another year or so before the AP2 cars do anything AP1 cars don't do - and we know Tesla is expecting to be able to improve all AP cars beyond what they can do today.

There are strong indications that the X was designed from the beginning to handle more than what is installed in the current cars, and I suspect the same is true of the refreshed Model S, though that hasn't been demonstrated that I'm aware of. (There are slots in the mirror housing on the X for at least one additional camera, and wires in the headliner not connected to anything.)

Waiting likely means another year before you can take the tax credit, too. I think it might make sense for someone who has an older S to wait and see, but if your current car isn't as nice to drive, you know you'll be getting a solid product buying an S now, you know Tesla will continue to improve it past where it is now, and there are good reasons to think it may be able to handle next generation hardware when the time comes.

Reactions: fsubrett48

Thank you
I pulled the trigger this weekend on a demo P90D. I was in the same boat, wondering, waiting, but with the discounts on the pre-facelift P90Ds and the 24 month lease, I don't care. I'm getting a lightly used P90d better than the lease rate of a new 75D. Don't care if it drives itself, it hits 0-60 in 3 sec. Good luck!

Reactions: EinSV
If I really wanted AP 2.0 that badly, I think I would for sure wait till the end of the year. Meaning, I would make sure I ordered as late as possible in 2016, to still get a 2016 delivery date (so I could get the 7500 tax credit sooner).

I suppose I might even wait longer (if AP 2.0 didn't come by then). But year end seems like a good practical and psychological line in the sand. Also, last fall saw arguably the best discounts as tesla was trying to make their numbers. So I'd also bet on that happening again. That, along with your impatience might tip the scales and get you to buy.

Remember, you can only spend that money once. So I'd say hang onto it and don't pull the trigger till you feel good about what you're getting. Spending money on something you don't like sucks. And spending a TON of money on something you don't absolutely LOVE is way worse