Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of S LR to replace M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lease on 2021 M3P is done mid Dec.

Not hopeful about getting a Highland Performance anytime soon. Can extend the lease 6 months, but that’s more money going nowhere.

If I take delivery by mid Oct, I can get out of two lease payments, so the net effect is avoiding 8 lease payments vs waiting for Highland Performance (assuming 6 month lease extension).

Drove a Model S LR yesterday - definitely faster than my M3P and in another universe for trim level, ride, etc… Also, the HW4 cameras are insane - like looking at high def vs standard def.

Anything I should be aware of in considering the upgrade from 3 to S??

Lease on 2021 M3P is done mid Dec.

Not hopeful about getting a Highland Performance anytime soon. Can extend the lease 6 months, but that’s more money going nowhere.

If I take delivery by mid Oct, I can get out of two lease payments, so the net effect is avoiding 8 lease payments vs waiting for Highland Performance (assuming 6 month lease extension).

Drove a Model S LR yesterday - definitely faster than my M3P and in another universe for trim level, ride, etc… Also, the HW4 cameras are insane - like looking at high def vs standard def.

Anything I should be aware of in considering the upgrade from 3 to S??
If you have FSD or planning to get it, it doesn’t work very well with HW4. Also, there are no stalks, which you may not care for. There’s also some vibration issues that’s been discussed extensively on these forums

I’m not an FSD believer (yet). I’m well aware of the lag for HW4 support but it won’t ever impact me. If and when legal FSD emerges I don’t imagine HW4 will still be the platform.

I’ve driven it. Yeah the turn signal buttons are annoying - but I’ll adapt. Yes it’s bigger, but for my driving it feels fine. I never once put my M3P in track mode in my nearly 3 years of ownership…

I’m not an FSD believer (yet). I’m well aware of the lag for HW4 support but it won’t ever impact me. If and when legal FSD emerges I don’t imagine HW4 will still be the platform.

I’ve driven it. Yeah the turn signal buttons are annoying - but I’ll adapt. Yes it’s bigger, but for my driving it feels fine. I never once put my M3P in track mode in my nearly 3 years of ownership…
I'd say "Go for it!" Very different cars; if you've driven the S and liked it, you shouldn't have any big surprises down the road. I think the S is far classier and better looking than the 3, also much less common.

To give full picture, we gave an S and a 3. My preference is the S, although I do find the 3 fun to drive.