Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Sentry/Music SSD USB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my own together for $31. Just put it in today and works great!

Found a 128GB Internal SSD for $20 from Newegg (two days left) plus a small USB-C enclosure from Amazon for $11. A nice, neat small package which I velcro'ed to the underside of the phone tray and connected to the Sabrent hub.

link to SSD
link to USB enclosure
link to 3 port USB hub

That's a great Shopping Saver Heads up: beats the price of a Samsung T5 by a whole lot. :)

Incorrect - the car also supports ext4 (and possibly ext2 and 3) for the music partition. And it works really well, also - with my ssd formatted with ext4 a fairly large library of music is catalogued by the time I can hit the usb indicator after plugging in the drive. The car is running linux behind the scenes, so this makes sense. Why this doesn't work for the dashcam drive also is kind of a mystery.

The only trick is finding a way to format to ext4 - if you have a linux box handy it's easy, not so much for mac and windows users. I found a nice little app by Paragon Software that manages ext drives on macs, and I'm sure there's something like it available for windows, but it's probably not free.

I formatted a 1TB USB drive with two EXT4 partitions; one for music, and one for TeslaCam. It took me a while to figure out that the TeslaCam partition needed to be FAT32. The troubleshooting process was kind of annoying and yes, definitely a mystery. I wanted to use EXT4 because it's journaling so it would better tolerate being unplugged while mounted.

My setup ..
I assembled a 128GB M.2 SSD which is partitioned into 20GB for music and 100GB for TeslaCam. The SSD is plugged (USB-C to USB-A) into a three port Sabrent USB 3.0 Hub and velcro'ed to the underside of the mobile phone dock. So far its been very reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: Xelloss99
I formatted a 1TB USB drive with two EXT4 partitions; one for music, and one for TeslaCam. It took me a while to figure out that the TeslaCam partition needed to be FAT32. The troubleshooting process was kind of annoying and yes, definitely a mystery. I wanted to use EXT4 because it's journaling so it would better tolerate being unplugged while mounted.
Yes, sorry, I thought i mentioned twice that ext4 only works for the music partition, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. Glad you figured it out anyway!

We dont have any covered parking at work and I am not sure I can keep the cabin overheat protection running for 8+ hours every day

As long as you have plenty of charge for your drive, there's no harm to having Cabin Overheat on for 8+ hours every day. It'll eat some range, especially in that climate where it'll have to hit the A/C compressor a little, but it's better than letting the cabin reach 150+ like happens with other cars IMHO.

Yup, up to ~10 times more at peak draw

Do you have a source for this statement?

I'm struggling to find any test data on the subject. There's lot of discussion about the longevity benefits of an SSD, and lots of comparisons of power usage against HDDs with some rather mixed results. But I'm not finding anything on the consumption of USB sticks, let alone comparing them to SSDs...

Do you have a source for this statement?

I'm struggling to find any test data on the subject. There's lot of discussion about the longevity benefits of an SSD, and lots of comparisons of power usage against HDDs with some rather mixed results. But I'm not finding anything on the consumption of USB sticks, let alone comparing them to SSDs...

The Samsung T5 SSD lots of folks like lists in its manual max consumption of 4 watts (5v at 0.8 amps)... (anandtech found about 0.38 watt draw at idle, so about 0.08 amps)

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...ble_SSD_T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

Here's specs on Sandisk MicroSD card power requirements-

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/04db416b291011446889dbd6129e2644.pdf

it's showing 0.035 in idle/sleep mode... 0.2 amps in high performance mode.... so roughly .175 watts and 1 watt respectively...

I suppose in that example it's "only" 2-4 times less....I've seen other threads (with linked sources) with a 10x difference though if you're curious to search for em.

The Samsung T5 SSD lots of folks like lists in its manual max consumption of 4 watts (5v at 0.8 amps)... (anandtech found about 0.38 watt draw at idle, so about 0.08 amps)

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...ble_SSD_T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

Here's specs on Sandisk MicroSD card power requirements-

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/04db416b291011446889dbd6129e2644.pdf

it's showing 0.035 in idle/sleep mode... 0.2 amps in high performance mode.... so roughly .175 watts and 1 watt respectively...

I suppose in that example it's "only" 2-4 times less....I've seen other threads (with linked sources) with a 10x difference though if you're curious to search for em.

Here we go again... :)

Unless you're literally running on sparks and/or charging two phones at the same time, the amperage and temperature tolerances are negligible, even at 4x the rate. If one needs the storage, SSD is always going to be superior.

Also the temperature operational tolerances in the manual do not match the actual hardware tolerances.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/T5_2019_brochure_Simulation.pdf
I'm not digging that up from some obscure website. It's the "Brochure" from here:
Samsung Portable SSD T5 | Samsung External Storage
Also as many cite here, I've gone now two months in the summer heat with no problem. 130+ temps. Se

My recommendation is always to go with SSD for storage, and there's virtually no impact to your driving range as a result of this. It would have a minor impact to a second phone, potentially, if you were actually charging two devices.

Side note: I deliberately ran my car to 1% battery - halfway by accident, halfway on purpose. I wanted to do a low-to-100% charge to recalibrate my Model 3 battery and decided 7% was too high, so figured I'd just take the next exit off the highway and turn around. ...... The next exit, as I found out really quick, was quite a few miles down the highway. The car immediately told me to slow down to make the destination, etc ... I did all that, and still had a few dozen miles to go and 1% charge. I saved the most power by just turning off the A/C.

I didn't even consider turning off my SSD. Or stopping to pull my phone off the Qi charger. The power pull there is inconsequential.

So really, for anyone considering (or not considering) a SSD, don't do it based upon the power draw, unless you really actually need to charge multiple devices at all times while you're driving, and need all devices to be constantly high rate. Peak power draw isn't constant, and there are more important things to worry about.

Here we go again... :)

Huh? He asked for support for the fact SSDs use more power. So I answered his question with sources.

What's the issue with that?

Unless you're literally running on sparks and/or charging two phones at the same time, the amperage and temperature tolerances are negligible, even at 4x the rate.

It's pretty common folks might wish to charge 2 phones at the same time, unless you've never got anyone in the car with you.

On top of that, many are using cheaper splitter/hubs that might limit available power on any given port so it'd be relevant there too.

And of course anything using more power reduces range, though I'd agree you're talking about it doing so by amounts that PROBABLY don't matter to most people.

If one needs the storage, SSD is always going to be superior.

Not really.

Besides using more power (which I'd agree is a very minor issue if it was the ONLY issue, though it's still one against not in favor of SSDs), they usually cost more, and come with a shorter warranty too (3 yrs on the T5 SSD for example vs 5 years on some keys/SDcards)- they're also physically larger (and more easily spotted by a thief) and have narrower environmental temp specs.

All in exchange for... pretty much no practical advantage in this use case at all- unless you need a HUGE amount of space (>256GB) for music because really massive SDcards/keys are more expensive once you get that big.

Also the temperature operational tolerances in the manual do not match the actual hardware tolerances.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/T5_2019_brochure_Simulation.pdf

Now THAT is a here we go again :)

Environmental temp ranges and device operating temp ranges are two different things. Stop conflating them.

Again, the actual manual-
Samsung said:
Use the product in appropriate environment: temperature between 5°C - 35°C

That's the exterior environmental/ambient temps it officially supports using it in.

YOUR link is how hot the operating drive itself is allowed to get (which is obviously always higher than ambient temp for running electronics)

35C is 95F for the metric-challenged BTW.

So according to the maker of the device using it in ambient temps above 95 F is out of spec for the hardware.

Absolutely it'll probably work fine for a while. Probably a good while, MFG specs are always conservative.

Meanwhile the same maker advertises their SDcards and keys as "temperature proof"

So I was using a Samsung USB flash drive...link:

Samsung MUF-128AB/AM FIT Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c1ZwDbJCAHA5B

For the last 2 months with no issue..

All of a sudden on Saturday I started getting an error that the drive is too slow to record videos. If I take it out and put it back in it works for a while then I get the same error.

Has anyone encountered this?? Would switching to SSD help?