Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in Vegas and bought from a private seller in Newport Beach... Alliant credit Union told me what to do... it was easy for them and they walked me through it in 5 minutes. Although thinking back the original owner had the car paid off so he signed the title right over on the spot.

That being said if you go with the same lender that the original owner used then the bank already has a hold of the title. I drove a rental car to LA. looked at the car, went to the bank, handed them a check, handed the owner a cashier's check and drove away... 15 minutes of transactions but 4 hours of traffic LOL...then drove back to Vegas that same afternoon.

I also went to great lengths to talk to Tesla about the car's history AND had the original owner buy the extended warranty for 4 more years prior to transferring ownership (which is no longer an issue I believe)

In nevada you dont pay sals tax on private sale used vehicles... saved me about $6300.... and I got 6 years and up to 100K in mileage

there are also companies you can hire that go out and look over the car, send you like 100 picture and give you a full report on the overall condition. They wouldn't be able to do anything mechanical but they can check out things like tire wear and so forth and give you a sense that the car was maintained.. from there you can ask for the service records from the owner...

Combined it is not as much of a risk as one might thing. Especially since the car is likely still under the original factory warranty...

i live in Vegas and bought from a private seller in Newport Beach... Alliant credit Union told me what to do... it was easy for them and they walked me through it in 5 minutes. Although thinking back the original owner had the car paid off so he signed the title right over on the spot.

That being said if you go with the same lender that the original owner used then the bank already has a hold of the title. I drove a rental car to LA. looked at the car, went to the bank, handed them a check, handed the owner a cashier's check and drove away... 15 minutes of transactions but 4 hours of traffic LOL...then drove back to Vegas that same afternoon.

I also went to great lengths to talk to Tesla about the car's history AND had the original owner buy the extended warranty for 4 more years prior to transferring ownership (which is no longer an issue I believe)

In nevada you dont pay sals tax on private sale used vehicles... saved me about $6300.... and I got 6 years and up to 100K in mileage

Unfortunately, the sales tax equation is reversed for California. I believe that a California resident must pay sales tax, even on a car bought out of state, at the time it is registered. (There may be a few "ins and outs" but that is basically the situation.)

Spend the $200 it will cost to have a purchase inspection done, it is well worth it.

Even if you buy a car from Tesla it will most likely have damage to it....only difference is that you can call them out on it before you had them a check. Cannot do the same if you buy the car long distance.

You will be stuck.....and the bank will not help you in any way.