TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Greengolfer, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Greengolfer

Greengolfer Member

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle an out-of-state purchase? I am in So. Ca.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

in terms of?

are you buying from private seller or a dealer?

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Member

Also, is there a lien on the car? What states are involved?

4. DougH

DougH Active Member

I buy and sell out of state all the time, don't really recommend it but what's your issue?

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

How deep is your level of trust?

6. Greengolfer

Greengolfer Member

I am buying from a private seller who I don't know much about. They appear to be on the up-and-up. I'm just looking for tips to make the sale and transfer as easy as possible.

7. Markk993

Markk993 Member

i live in Vegas and bought from a private seller in Newport Beach... Alliant credit Union told me what to do... it was easy for them and they walked me through it in 5 minutes. Although thinking back the original owner had the car paid off so he signed the title right over on the spot.

That being said if you go with the same lender that the original owner used then the bank already has a hold of the title. I drove a rental car to LA. looked at the car, went to the bank, handed them a check, handed the owner a cashier's check and drove away... 15 minutes of transactions but 4 hours of traffic LOL...then drove back to Vegas that same afternoon.

I also went to great lengths to talk to Tesla about the car's history AND had the original owner buy the extended warranty for 4 more years prior to transferring ownership (which is no longer an issue I believe)

In nevada you dont pay sals tax on private sale used vehicles... saved me about $6300.... and I got 6 years and up to 100K in mileage