Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here are some missing features that Tesla should have!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that Leaf can act as a power source for your house is awesome.

Of course Tesla has a product for that (Powerwall) but it would be cool to skip that and just use your car, in the event of a power out.
With Tesla's Superchargers isn't this begging for abuse? Hit the SC every day to fill up and then go home and feed your house. Rinse and repeat every day.

Just how much power does your home consume?
I have a monster consumption of 4megawatt-hours/month and that's only 110kWh in 24 hours, a lot less at night than during the day too.

Sure. But my battery is only ~85kWh when full and most likely it would only have around 40kWh when the power goes out.
It's always good to have a free option though so activating battery drain via switch would be a good idea. Massive power drains could then be turned off.

Sure. But my battery is only ~85kWh when full and most likely it would only have around 40kWh when the power goes out.

I was curious how long that would last, and according to the US Energy Information Administration the average US household uses 30 kwh per day, so a 40kwh charge could power your house with everything on and normal for more than a day. I have to admit that is more impressive than I was expecting.

I’ve posted this elsewhere but thought I’d add it to this thread.

As AP becomes more advanced and more Tesla’s hit the road that a possible feature would be a “slipstream,” “drafting” or “caravan” mode for highway driving. Essentially, Tesla’s on the highway would line up with one another with the right distance between each other depending on speed to increase aerodynamic efficiency and reduce energy usage. This would also help with safety and traffic congestion if the car in front were able to signal to the cars behind that it was slowing down or speeding up. A lot of highway traffic is often caused by overcompensated braking of cars far behind lead cars, especially when car density is high such that a slow down by one car can trigger a complete stoppage moments later and far behind. This also frequently causes accidents.

I know, it’s a weird thing imagining a caravan of electric cars on the highway, but there are advantages to this and the technology is almost there.

I’ve posted this elsewhere but thought I’d add it to this thread.

As AP becomes more advanced and more Tesla’s hit the road that a possible feature would be a “slipstream,” “drafting” or “caravan” mode for highway driving. Essentially, Tesla’s on the highway would line up with one another with the right distance between each other depending on speed to increase aerodynamic efficiency and reduce energy usage. This would also help with safety and traffic congestion if the car in front were able to signal to the cars behind that it was slowing down or speeding up. A lot of highway traffic is often caused by overcompensated braking of cars far behind lead cars, especially when car density is high such that a slow down by one car can trigger a complete stoppage moments later and far behind. This also frequently causes accidents.

I know, it’s a weird thing imagining a caravan of electric cars on the highway, but there are advantages to this and the technology is almost there.
I've also referred to it as platooning.
Exclusive: Tesla developing self-driving tech for semi-truck, wants to test in Nevada