Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's How Big of a Hill You Need to Fully Recharge a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He made the assumption that no one is in the vehicle. Doing this test, you'd load the car with as much weight as possible reducing the distance considerably. I'd question the 60% efficiency as well. Should be easy to test for someone with a large hill handy tho.

In fact I did not make that assumption with no payload. However this Payload variable of the calculation is very simplified I found when I played around with different payloads added. I discovered easily that the calculation is made om EVTripPlanner is made strictly based on the Elevation change! , like potensial energi delta of some sort, most lightly with some extra calculations. Anyway on the trip I planned from Mount Evans to Kansas City with a Huge elevation drop, the larger weight you add to the input, the less the Total Energy Used becomes in their calculation. This would only be relevant on the trip if It was a true decline with basicly constant downhill, witch on my trip is not the case. For example when I add 200lbs I get 88,8 kWh used, which is 0,8 kWh less than the estimate was with zero payload added as I had. Therfore I had 0 payload.

I agree in your point about that the 60% might be very challenging. On a highway in daytime it cant be done and also adding to it the element of stop and go traffic which of course is disasterous to any eco-drive:)

For any good try on a Mountain decent it might be hard to find charging options up on the mountain to charge to 100% (as I'd like). What comes to mind is to have the Tesla towed(It regenerates if left in drive and not tow-mode if I remember correctly) alternativly to be transported on a truck and perhaps juiced up with a Jer-E-like charger or regenerate-towed a little up at the starting point area if the percentage is to far off desired level. Saturday at 3pm would perhaps be the best for this 16-17hr trip of mine, just beating the Sunday morning morning rush(haha) into Kansas City:) Guess Id start Saturday 19th 2017, arrive in Kansas City the 20th and see the total eclipse the next day after some charging, a good sleep and some hrs furter north of KC driving to see the total eclipse. Fingers crossed for "sunny" weather that day:)