Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at the best way of charging at my business premises, we are currently having a quote done for a Zappi. The installer has mentioned that we will need PME near the main incoming supply that will need to communicate with the Zappi located some 15 mtrs away on a seperate RCD Board. We have 3 phase so would like the option to charge at 11kw. I havent received the quote yet but I suspect it is going to be fairly expensive.

We do have a redundant 16A 3 Phase Commando socket located within 6mtr of where I am planning on charging the car. Could I just plug one of these in and start charger from that socket instead?

Any help would be appreciated.
yes.

you need either this one in your link... or this one which is from Tesla.

I see that 16Amp adapter is out of stock, but 32 Amp is available. but price is significantly lower..

you just plug it into standard tesla mobile charger (instead of 3 pin adapter - these are interchangeable)

yes.

you need either this one in your link... or this one which is from Tesla.

I see that 16Amp adapter is out of stock, but 32 Amp is available. but price is significantly lower..

you just plug it into standard tesla mobile charger (instead of 3 pin adapter - these are interchangeable)
Thanks for that, the issue is that the outlet/socket is a 3 phase socket which is for a red plug (5pin) not blue which I believe is only single phase. Tesla do not do an adaptor for the 3 phase plugs

The installer has mentioned that we will need PME near the main incoming supply that will need to communicate with the Zappi located some 15 mtrs away on a seperate RCD Board. We have 3 phase so would like the option to charge at 11kw. I havent received the quote yet but I suspect it is going to be fairly expensive.

Something must be lost in translation there. Zappi has integral PME fault protection, and even if you were using one that didn't, you would normally fit the PME fault protection nearby rather than back at the incoming supply. So I think you mean something other than PME here.

We do have a redundant 16A 3 Phase Commando socket located within 6mtr of where I am planning on charging the car. Could I just plug one of these in and start charger from that socket instead?

Any help would be appreciated.
You could. This is likely to offer a marginally lower level of safety than a dedicated charging point, but arguably sufficient for occasional use.

If it's truly redundant, I'd be asking why the installer can't simply fit the Zappi to that existing circuit rather than doing all new work.

Note that older Tesla 'UMC' (as shipped with original Model S/X) did support 3-phase with appropriate adapters, but the more recent ones are single-phase only.

Something must be lost in translation there. Zappi has integral PME fault protection, and even if you were using one that didn't, you would normally fit the PME fault protection nearby rather than back at the incoming supply. So I think you mean something other than PME here.

You could. This is likely to offer a marginally lower level of safety than a dedicated charging point, but arguably sufficient for occasional use.

If it's truly redundant, I'd be asking why the installer can't simply fit the Zappi to that existing circuit rather than doing all new work.

Note that older Tesla 'UMC' (as shipped with original Model S/X) did support 3-phase with appropriate adapters, but the more recent ones are single-phase only
Hmmm, I am not sure then, I will get the quote through from them and then I will more information.

I am not sure if they are just putting money into the job for the sake of it because it is a business paying it.

If I did go down the cable route it would be shared with charger at home, I would be using it once or twice a week.

Would a work place be happy with formally sanctioned UMC use ? Sounds like it could be a liability/insurance problem. I don't for a second think there will actually be a problem, but sounds like the sort of thing a business could get upright about. The need to do things 'proper' etc.

Possibly some short risk assessment showing UMC is suitably risk free and showing you have tought about it.

Would a work place be happy with formally sanctioned UMC use ? Sounds like it could be a liability/insurance problem. I don't for a second think there will actually be a problem, but sounds like the sort of thing a business could get upright about. The need to do things 'proper' etc.

Possibly some short risk assessment showing UMC is suitably risk free and showing you have tought about it.
That's a funny one to answer, it is my own business so essentially the risk is on me. I am already using the 3 pin charger and haven't really thought about the insurance implication of this, a prompt to look into it now.

That's a funny one to answer, it is my own business so essentially the risk is on me. I am already using the 3 pin charger and haven't really thought about the insurance implication of this, a prompt to look into it now.
Ah. For you, in your parking space and it's your car so you know not to chew through the cable, you are probably fine. I was thinking if a larger swathe of public or staff could interfere with the car or cable you may need to demonstrate adequate diligence by having the 'safest' option, not just a 'safe' option.

Just suck a 'electricity - don't chew' sign up and you'll be fine 😂.

I am looking at the best way of charging at my business premises

Sounds like its just a single parking bay? If you have a need for multiple bays then we did that at work (I think we have 5 posts, with 2 x chargers on each; its a 3-Phase supply). Each charger has a QR code, and using an APP, logged in so that you are "known/recognised", it will start charging, for a visitor they can plug in and "ask at reception" for the charge to be started. It has the ability to re-charge the user (currently a Work Perk)

We got a grant for 50% of the installation cost.

If that is of interest I'll dig out what brand it is.

Thanks for that, the issue is that the outlet/socket is a 3 phase socket which is for a red plug (5pin) not blue which I believe is only single phase. Tesla do not do an adaptor for the 3 phase plugs

Correct ... you were given incorrect advice from the OP. The Tesla portable charge point (UMC) is single phase only and can only use the blue single phase adapters at either 16amp or 32 amp. If you have a three phase commando (red) it will not be compatible. However, this indicates that you have ready access to a 3 phase supply which could be connected to a suitable 3 phase charge point e.g. a 3 phase Zappi