Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, if you need to make some extra money right now.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enhanced AP, when available, included turn signal changes and summon and was ALOT more than $300.

I’m with you though and would pay for EAP today if I could (and summon doesn’t even have to be a part of it).

Tesla doesn’t want your $300 one-off.

Pony up for the package or don’t.

Yep, they're in this for money. Obviously this is why they removed the option to purchase EAP and moved everything to the non refundable FSD package. I'd go as far as call it damage control as I'm fairly sure they know how impossibly far they are from FSD actually working so they are milking customers as much as they can and pursuing every possible way to make them pay for the full package. Of course $7k for one useful thing and a couple party tricks is completely non sense at this point. This is also why I think older AP1 cars hold more value since they do turn signal change, simple summon and autopark just fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid and glide
Yep, they're in this for money. Obviously this is why they removed the option to purchase EAP and moved everything to the non refundable FSD package. I'd go as far as call it damage control as I'm fairly sure they know how impossibly far they are from FSD actually working so they are milking customers as much as they can and pursuing every possible way to make them pay for the full package. Of course $7k for one useful thing and a couple party tricks is completely non sense at this point. This is also why I think older AP1 cars hold more value since they do turn signal change, simple summon and autopark just fine.
Completely agree. Far happier with my AP1 car than if I had to spend $7K+ for basically the same stuff.

I have FSD so this issue doesn't impact me.

But, to me this is a user interface issue.

Vehicles that have lane-steering, but without auto-lane change typically disable lane-steering when the user hits the turn signal. This way the system isn't fighting the user. Tesla could make it pretty seamless without adding auto-lane change to the basic AP package if they wanted to.

Tesla could also allow homelink to work from the App on non-FSD cars if they wanted to.

They don't seem to be motivated to fix either issue because they want people to pony up $7K to get FSD while FSD doesn't really give you much.

I have FSD, but the only thing it really offers above Basic AP is auto-lane change. I got FSD so I would get HW3, and that I could play around with new things as they come out.

I enjoyed playing around with NoA, but it was and still is a pile of crap

I enjoyed playing around with Smart Summon, and went as far as updating openstreetmaps to add the parking lot where I work. I find it highly amusing not in how well it works, but in how bad it is It's failed every test I've done where passing required 10 times of working correctly. It seems to go out of its way to fail. I completely gave up on testing it from outside the car, and anytime I test it I'm sitting in the car and it's pretty jarring experience.

The traffic light detection, and stopping is interesting. I think it's one of the better things they've done lately mostly the expectation is to simply help it gather training data. But, it too isn't very good. Like it doesn't always stop smoothly, and consistently. Sometimes its great, and sometimes its like "wow, no one stops like this".

The user initiated auto-lane change is so different because it works. Sure sometimes it can falsely detect someone in the lane next to you, and it will auto-cancel. But, most often it works buttery smooth and is amazing. It's far better than AP1 auto-lane change because it isn't doing it blindly. AP1 doesn't have side cameras, and has to rely 100% on the ultrasonics which don't detect everything.

It's so good that Tesla can't simply give it to basic AP owners, and they can't simply charge $300 for it.

So instead they should just fix the user interface issue with basic AP lane-changes, and concentrate on making FSD more worthy of $7K. Don't get people into a weird middle ground area.

This is also why I think older AP1 cars hold more value since they do turn signal change, simple summon and autopark just fine.

I had an AP1 car, and really the only thing that makes AP1 stand out is solid TACC that doesn't false brake. With AP1 all you really have to do is brake if it wants to go, and you don't want to go. With AP2+ it's the opposite where it's trying to stop you all the time, and so you're constantly going "no, don't stop" and hitting the throttle. It's so bad that some people hover their foot over the throttle.

Auto-lane change was nice, but it's simply not the same thing as it is on a FSD vehicle. With FSD you get the reassurance that it's checking visually versus just using the ultrasonics.

simple summon is great on both versions for people who simply want that basic functionality, but with either one you have to be really careful with as all they go off of is the ultrasonics. Both of them can do weird things like suddenly turn in the garage where you just want it to back out. With the AP1 Model S I ended up having to put things next to it so it could detect, and go out straight. With my Model 3 it's smaller, and has more room. I don't use it very often. Mostly when I need to move my car out the garage, and I'm all dirty from doing yard work.

autopark I found to be completely worthless on both. Too many requirements, too slow, and too error prone. With FSD they're supposed to introduce a camera based autopark. So it at least has some hope.

I don't see it that way. Tesla can either accept my $300 and smile while they are doing it, or they can NOT get $7000 from me. Their choice.
So what you’re really offering them is $300 or nothing.

And for your $300 someone needs to go in and do some one-off programming to enable a feature that does not fall under any existing packages.

Sorry, they still don’t want your $300. That’s the way they see it.

I don't see it that way. Tesla can either accept my $300 and smile while they are doing it, or they can NOT get $7000 from me. Their choice.

But your $300 models dilutes the value proposition of the $7000 FSD package. Which means fewer people buy THAT. If they lose 4% of FSD customers as a result of your change, they lose out overall. And they set a precedent which means people will say "I'll just wait and Tesla will offer feature X more cheaply".

HAHAHAHA!

Tesla doesn’t care about your $300. You’re not as important as you think you are, go read the FSD subscription thread.

Drive your basic EV and smile while doing it. Or not. Your choice.