Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, looking to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking at the Tesla 3, but waiting is too long. Plus neg press, production worries and workmanship.
So looking to buy used a model S or X. And with the new front end body style would be nice.
So please help find something. I am on West Coast, near Medford Oregon. Have cash.

And a quick technical ?. How do they upgrade from a 60 to a 75? Add more batteries?

Or I might buy new. Is lifetime charging still good on new cars?

As you can tell, don't know much about all this stuff. Thats why I am here. To learn. Thanks

Welcome. The "60" cars built in 2015-2017 actually have 75 kWh packs that are software limited to use around 60 kWh. Upgrading them is a simple software switch which unlocks the remaining capacity.

(The 60 kWh cars built in 2013 are actually 60 kWh and can't be upgraded without replacing the pack.)

Or I might buy new. Is lifetime charging still good on new cars?...

Certain used cars are still free lifetime time Supercharging. Previous owner needs to look at their account page to see whether that free feature is automatically transferable to another owner (or it's only good for current but not for subsequent owners.)

Currently, for new S or X (not Model 3) cars, you can only get free lifetime time Supercharging if you get a referral.

So how do I get a referral? Do I have to pay someone? I assume so.
What if I only put on 12,000 miles a year. How much does that buy me, if I have free charging.
How long does it take to charge at the Tesla Charging stations if I am.... say 80% low . With a 75 kWh.
Thanks.

...Do I have to pay someone?

Referral is free. You do not pay but you might get something additionally and currently it's unlimited supercharging and $500 credit to spend later (not to pay for your car cost.)

Owners did it for free for a long time then Tesla started to reward both owners and the ones who are referred with something from gifts, credits, parties (as in food, music and dance...).

You can private message to any Tesla car owners for referrals.

...What if I only put on 12,000 miles a year. How much does that buy me, if I have free charging...

Free supercharging does not increase your supercharging bill. Your supercharging bill is still zero dollars whether you use it or not.

How long does it take to charge at the Tesla Charging stations if I am.... say 80% low . With a 75 kWh.
Thanks.

If you are on a road trip, the goal is to get out of a Supercharger as quick as possible so you don't want to charge it all the way up.

The more empty your battery is the faster is the charge rate.

The more fuller your battery is the slower the charge rate.

The bigger your battery is, the faster your charge rate as well.

Normally, if I got 80%, I would skip the charging because the charge rate is much slower.

See the graphic below to see why:

supercharge-timing.jpg