Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi! New here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I’m new here and I’m looking at getting a used tesla directly from the site. Would that be considered better than buying one privately? Or would it be better to get a new one from the site?

Hi. I’m new here and I’m looking at getting a used tesla directly from the site. Would that be considered better than buying one privately? Or would it be better to get a new one from the site?

Better how?

Obviously buying new will cost the most- but you know you're getting new, getting the exact config you want, and with full warranty.

As to used- depends on the pricing and if you can find what you want.

Only caveat is if buying private party- get a copy of their MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) so can you know, for sure, what options they actually paid for.

There's cases where someone will private party sell a car with software features they never paid for- and they get removed by Tesla when this gets caught. So get the receipt.

I have been reading a lot. And it’s a bit overwhelming. As I live in Texas where we pretty much get no snow and it’s hot and rainy, what would the difference between rear wheel and all wheel drive be?

I have been reading a lot. And it’s a bit overwhelming. As I live in Texas where we pretty much get no snow and it’s hot and rainy, what would the difference between rear wheel and all wheel drive be?

Range, handling, and power/acceleration would all be different

If you don't really care about performance at all then RWD will get you the most range.

If you don't care about range OR performance you might consider just buying a new SR+ or something.

I am in Austin and have driven this model since late 2018 - 24k miles and I love it. LR RWD is discontinued, SR Plus is RWD but less range. Questions as to what concerns you most will help with the decision. Do you like strong accel or do you care more about range? Do you plan on doing road trips? Is price a big factor in your decision? There are lots of questions to help get a better idea of what's best for you as there is no right or wrong model to choose from.

You should try to get a test drive when those become available again. There are showrooms in all the major cities here with demo vehicles.

I am definitely looking at the long range models. I would like the Long Range MS but that is way out of my price range.I do plan on taking it on roads trips that are 600 miles a few times a year and other road trips that may not be as far. I would like to make sure the car and infrastructure would be good. Premium Connectivity is something that I am just learning about. I know some used private owned vehicles have it for life while buying from Tesla I only get a 30 day trial. That is something that I would like to have but I don't know if it is truly necessary on a day to day basis. I have read many posts but I haven't seen much information about the Premium Connectivity.

Between owners selling to get a Model Y and the pandemic, there are some sweet used deals these days and will likely be more over the next few months. If you are looking to buy used direct from Tesla, keep in mind that you can ask Tesla to remove FSD from any of the used cars they have in inventory, which takes $7k off their asking price.

I wish Texas had those incentives. But being a big oil state we have very little to no incentive for going electric but it’s more of a reason for me to want it.
It may depend on where you live. You should check.
A quick search turned up this gem:

Texas Electric vehicles powered by a battery or hydrogen fuel cell, including plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with a battery capacity of at least 4 kilowatt hours, are eligible for a rebate of $2,500, for the first 2,000 applicants.
Electric Vehicle Tax Credit: What to Know for 2020

It may depend on where you live. You should check.
A quick search turned up this gem:

Texas Electric vehicles powered by a battery or hydrogen fuel cell, including plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with a battery capacity of at least 4 kilowatt hours, are eligible for a rebate of $2,500, for the first 2,000 applicants.
Electric Vehicle Tax Credit: What to Know for 2020
Unfortunately since Tesla cant sell directly in Texas that rebate doesn’t include Tesla’s. They have to be sold through a franchised dealer in Texas so I’m SOL on trying to get that rebate.