Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hide SSD in New Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a way to hide a Samsung T5 SSD in a brand new Model X, which has the wireless phone charger cradle near the USB ports? I’m asking for a relative who hasn’t received the Model X they ordered yet, but they’re hoping to not have the SSD, which will be used for TeslaCam, sitting where it’s visible.

Does anyone know of a way to hide a Samsung T5 SSD in a brand new Model X, which has the wireless phone charger cradle near the USB ports? I’m asking for a relative who hasn’t received the Model X they ordered yet, but they’re hoping to not have the SSD, which will be used for TeslaCam, sitting where it’s visible.

Depends on how much you want to hide it. You can pull the console and put it inside where someone would have to take it apart to get to. You can hide it in the glovebox. There are many options.

This is how I put SSD media in the glove box. I put a 128gig SSD in a cheap simple enclosure and tested it for storing media.

The center console has a couple of cable exit small holes in the far front end of the center console. One cable exit hole on each side and come out below the cubby.

Using a 4 foot USB-C cable starting at the USB ports, I lifted the small rubber mat there; and began threading the cable USB-C end first) down through a hole in the plastic tray going forward. Then I lifted the rubber mat in the bottom of the center console and hid the cable under the mat. Towards the front and out the right side small hole in the center console. Drop the cubby and remove it so you can see when the cable comes out of the center console and is visible under the MCU. Then routed it up forward to the right side under the MCU side trim, to the glove box and in next to the hinge. So far I've not need to even cut or drill a hole anywhere. Then plugged the USB A end in to the USB port. The USB-C connector into the SSD enclosure. It powered up, and the Dashcam icon lit up. Then tested. Total cost was almost $30. As cheap as some flash drives. (Put the cubby back under the MCU.)

And it would be easy to protect it by plugging in a junk flash drive into another port as a decoy. Let them find something and they are happy.

So if Valet mode is every turned on, its safe in the glove box since Valet mode locks it and he would not know it was there anyway. And since its it gets power from the console USB ports, the SSD hard disk shuts down when the car turns off power to the USB ports.

Don’t ask - didn't take any pictures. I didn't realize how simple and easy this would be until I was almost done. Just follow along and you can do it yourself. Easy to unplug from the USB port and stop it, and easy to disconnect and take inside from the glove box.

Thanks!

This is how I put SSD media in the glove box. I put a 128gig SSD in a cheap simple enclosure and tested it for storing media.

The center console has a couple of cable exit small holes in the far front end of the center console. One cable exit hole on each side and come out below the cubby.

Using a 4 foot USB-C cable starting at the USB ports, I lifted the small rubber mat there; and began threading the cable USB-C end first) down through a hole in the plastic tray going forward. Then I lifted the rubber mat in the bottom of the center console and hid the cable under the mat. Towards the front and out the right side small hole in the center console. Drop the cubby and remove it so you can see when the cable comes out of the center console and is visible under the MCU. Then routed it up forward to the right side under the MCU side trim, to the glove box and in next to the hinge. So far I've not need to even cut or drill a hole anywhere. Then plugged the USB A end in to the USB port. The USB-C connector into the SSD enclosure. It powered up, and the Dashcam icon lit up. Then tested. Total cost was almost $30. As cheap as some flash drives. (Put the cubby back under the MCU.)

And it would be easy to protect it by plugging in a junk flash drive into another port as a decoy. Let them find something and they are happy.

So if Valet mode is every turned on, its safe in the glove box since Valet mode locks it and he would not know it was there anyway. And since its it gets power from the console USB ports, the SSD hard disk shuts down when the car turns off power to the USB ports.

Don’t ask - didn't take any pictures. I didn't realize how simple and easy this would be until I was almost done. Just follow along and you can do it yourself. Easy to unplug from the USB port and stop it, and easy to disconnect and take inside from the glove box.

I know this isn't answering OPs question and I get the SSD is the way to go but would be good to ask your relative how complicated or simple they want it. I personally use a 256gb low profile thumb drive and it works great, doesn't block anything and is practically invisible. And with the updated software/hardware you can view/delete videos in the car, so no need to have a very large drives anymore. Just my two cents before you go down that rabbit hole. Good luck!

I think no one is insisting there's only one way to do this. To each his own. SSDs are going to go back too. In the early days of Sentry and Dashcam, the software was eating flash drives and Micro-SDs. There was a lot of complaints that a OTA update was ruining the file system on those drives. People could not simply reformat and put it back in either. I don't think anyone was using SSD's yet, and I don't remember any reports that SSD's were dying. So we don't know yet, if the problem was limited to flash/micro's. And maybe those days are behind us.

Hopefully all behind us, I haven't really had any issues on my thumb drive but I guess we'll see...much mahalos!

I think no one is insisting there's only one way to do this. To each his own. SSDs are going to go back too. In the early days of Sentry and Dashcam, the software was eating flash drives and Micro-SDs. There was a lot of complaints that a OTA update was ruining the file system on those drives. People could not simply reformat and put it back in either. I don't think anyone was using SSD's yet, and I don't remember any reports that SSD's were dying. So we don't know yet, if the problem was limited to flash/micro's. And maybe those days are behind us.

Reactions: Akikiki